Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #1 
luviggies

Long Trip with my Betta

I am moving to a different part of the country and will be traveling in total about 22 hours. A very small portion of the trip will be on a country road...my question is what is the best way to travel with my betta? I thought I would put him in a small container filled a little less than 1/2 way to prevent trauma from being bumped around. I dont know what else to do...any advice is greatly appreciated!
luviggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #2 
Aryia

I traveled ten hours from Oregon down to Cali in a car. I actually just left my Betta in a Petco PetKeeper container, and she did fine. We did have to make sure that the water wouldn't come out whenever we ran over a bump though, and I lowered the water level to about 3/4 the usual amount.

I did not have packing material on hand, but I believe the best way to pack a fish is the way they come packed in fishstores or from Aquabid. Basically the thick plastic bag filled halfway with water and packed tight with air to offer some cushioning. You can also put the plastic bag in a box with some insulation to protect your Betta from temperature changes. Also, it's a good idea to fast the Betta a day before traveling if you're transporting it in a small amount of water, since no food = no waste production = better water quality.

The Betta I ordered from Aquabid took about 2-3 days traveling through USPS to arrive to me. They all came in very lively and healthy. 22 hours in a car with you while you care for the fish should be nothing compared to how USPS might handle the package. So don't worry!
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM   #3 
galtgirl

My Aquabid Betta came as described above and also had an almond leaf in the water. The fish store where I picked him up also had almond leaves in all their betta containers. They said it reduces stress. You can order the leaves on EBay but it takes several weeks to get them...they are very inexpensive.
galtgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #4 
luviggies

So I made the long trip with my betta (and all my other animals) and he is as happy as a fish can be! Thank you for your responses!
luviggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #5 
Aryia

I'm glad you all made it ok : ) Good luck with moving in! For me unpacking is a lot more fun than packing hehe

Also make sure you keep an eye on your Betta for a while. Fish are more prone to illnesses when they're stressed, and sometimes a trip can be quite stressful.
Aryia is offline   Reply With Quote