Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #1 
DragonFish

Mystery of the Missing Betta...

Well, it appears my Shiva has up and disappeared on me....just like Jinx did. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a portal to another universe in my Sorority :/
I have no clue what happened. She was there most of the day yesterday, and then around late afternoon I didn't see her....she didn't come up for food last night or this morning. She could have jumped, but I would find a body....the fish are the only pets that are in my room ever. Not to mention I'd imagine I'd start smelling something fishy by now...
Besides the girls in the 20, theres a snail, a Rasbora(long story), and a Clown Pleco whos about 3.5". Hes very timid and keeps to his little cave, not at all aggressive. Hes the only one I can think of that might have eaten her, but I imagine she'd have to die first....and I don't see how she could have just up and died out of nowhere suddenly and be completely eaten by his tiny self in less then 24 hours.
I've picked up and moved around the decor in the tank, absolutely nothing. I'm totally stumped
And I'm really bummed out and upset now, I'd just started conditioning her and planned to breed her with Supernova they were my only compatible pair, now I've got no one to breed that might yield decent fry :/ and I worked so hard getting the spawning tank set up....
Anyway, any thoughts as to what happened to her? I can't think of anything other then the portal idea...but I may just be too upset and not thinking clearly :/
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #2 
Jynx

Actually, the other fish might have eaten her O_o
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #3 
DragonFish

...But wouldn't she have had to kick the bucket first?O.o Thats where I'm stumped. I can't figure out any real cause for her to have died...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Do you think she could have been attacked by the other fish, then eaten?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:44 PM   #5 
DragonFish

I'd thought about that, but the girls aren't very aggressive....the occasional nip or chase, but nothing serious. And Shiva was good buds with Mira, whos seems to be the top dog.
I dunno....is it possible the Pleco had a random mean streak and attacked? O.o
Old 09-21-2009, 07:45 PM   #6 
misstephaniexxx

i had two tetras that disappeared... it was a mystery until I saw a third of it come from out of the cave.
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:13 PM   #7 
Maryrox247

i have had plecos that dissapeared. turns out he died because he didnt get enough to eat. now i got hikari sinking algeae wafers.so yeah. never found a body though. ???
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM   #8 
DragonFish

I've had other fish disappear before, but they were all bottom dwellers and they eventually turned up.
Nope, no body though....my dad even came in and helped me comb the area and take out decor for a second time, nothing. Funny thing is, the same thing happened to Jinx, one of my first female betta, a month ago...never turned up, no body, there one minute the next. Its so weird...
But even more frustrating now because now I don't have a decent pair to breed ><; Ugh.....
Old 09-21-2009, 11:53 PM   #9 
Vikki81207

I'm so sorry. I'm stumped, I have no idea what happened.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #10 
loppy656

you should do a full sweap. Clean out the tank. Dump out the gravle and all that. Maby shes baryed. Also if its not a very sacure lid put some thing on top of it.
Hope you find out what hpend to her.
(for all we know she did go thrugh a porthole)
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote