Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #1 
jmeisnor

overfeeding?

Got 2 betas several months ago. One died in 3 weeks. Remaining one is beautiful and thriving. Feed aqueon color food. I read that he should have a few pellets a day. Well he eats all day long a couple at a time; about 20 total daily and always ready for food. I read about what overfull belly looks like and he does not ever look that way. So now I wonder, did the first one die of starvation? What do you all consider the correct amount of food. These pellets are tiny. Thanks. Hope I have not jinxed my beta by saying he is thriving. I am very superstitious and hope he lives on.
Attached Images

jmeisnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #2 
hgual22

I feed my bettas 4-7 omega one pellets a day (they are kind of big) or 9-12 new life spectrum pellets a day, they are teeny tiny. I dont know exactly how big your pellets are, but I would cut back a little. It seems a bit much.

Also what size tank is that? Bettas need 2.5 gallons minimum, most people prefer 5. And a heater is necessary. In a home that tiny you should be doing daily water changes.
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:11 PM   #3 
kjg1029

I have thoose ones (I dont use them, there just sitting there) and they are kinda large, i feed 3 pellets 2x a day.
Over feeding (especialy lower quality food) such as that food, can be dammaging, to the water quality, and the fishes health, i suggest getting some NLS (new life spectrum) brand food, its high quality,low filler food!
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:14 PM   #4 
SplashyBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgual22 View Post
Also what size tank is that? Bettas need 2.5 gallons minimum, most people prefer 5. And a heater is necessary. In a home that tiny you should be doing daily water changes.
Not necessarily true. Some bettas do well in smaller tanks. If he's happy and healthy then you don't *have* to upgrade him. :)
SplashyBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #5 
jmeisnor

As I said several months doing well. He's in a half gallon tank and I usually change water weekly. So I plan to stay with what works as far as tank size. Thanks
Old 11-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #6 
mattdocs12345

A couple of things that could have killed your betta and how to prevent it from happening again.

Water change without conditioner. Conditioner is used to dechlorinate your tank. Chlorine kills bacteria and fish too.
http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116043...keywords=prime

Water change with temperature shock. Sudden water temperature changes can also kill your fish. Invest in electronic thermometer that you can find on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amonia build up. Get at least 1 gallon tank. It's not that much bigger. Also with such a small tank you need to add daily Prime to detoxify amonia. And do at least twice weekly water changes. Most in here would agree that this is absolute minimum when it comes to water changes and tank size. Here is a good tank:
http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Series...0RE77ERPA2JTAP

Compromised immune system. Too cold tank will compromise tropical fish immune system. There are two heaters that are very good.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008AGHH8Y/...I3VK37Z9CJ42S3

Last edited by mattdocs12345; 11-14-2014 at 02:57 PM.
mattdocs12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:54 PM   #7 
hgual22

You definitely need to do more water changes if your keeping him in that. Ammonia rises very quickly in small spaces. Get a test kit and see how long it takes for the ammonia to reach deadly levels (usually 48 hours in something that small) Weekly changes are not nearly enough. Thats how often I change my 5 and 10 gallon tanks, and they are cycled and planted.
hgual22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:02 PM   #8 
kjg1029

yeah, in a half gallon you need daily 100% water changes.
you also need a heater, regardless of where you live, to keep the temp stable because temp fluctuations can be harmful for your bettas health.

I personaly would just get him a 3-5gal, a heater, some plants and a filter, thats all you need, and after a few weeks (when its cycled) youd only need to change maybe 30% of the water every week. all of my bettas have about 5 gals, its really a nice size for them, although i wish i could just give them their own 10gal, they really do use, and love all of their space.

i notice yous bettas fins look a little choppy, it could be from thooose plastic plants, id suggest some silk, or easy live plants, and i would be happy to help you out by telling you that info if you need it:)

I really only want whats best for your betta. trust me, earlier this year I started with one small betta in a .75g unheated tank, when I was trying to figure out why he wasnt eatting, I came accrost this webiste, it literally saved my bettas life, whom now happily resides in a natural planted 5.5g alllll to himself!:)

please read theese:) they are helpful! http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Last edited by kjg1029; 11-14-2014 at 06:05 PM.
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #9 
MikeG14

+1 hgual & matt

My 10 gallon cycled, planted tanks get 2-20% water changes a week. I would change a 1/2 gallon tank every day. He'll survive in poor conditions for a long time. He just isn't going to thrive.

Bettas do really well at 78-82. He's going to have trouble metabolizing his food at lower temperatures.
MikeG14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:58 PM   #10 
jmeisnor

I would be interested in silk plants. Not interested in live plants. Open to suggestions.
Thank you