Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #1 
Aliljew4u

Lethargic Betta. HELP!

My betta has been in a 2.5gal tank and has been extremely active and happy. His water temp has remained btw 78-80 degrees. Now that it's getting colder i noticed the water temp dropping to 75. It was reccomended that i get a heater for his tank. I purchased an aqueon 50W heater specifically for his little tank that is pre-set to 78 degrees.

Before i put the heater in this morning, the temp was hovering around 75. I fed him and he was active and happy to eat as much as i wanted to give him (this is normal for him). I put the heater in and not longer after he started acting lethargic. He hasn't gotten better throughout the day and i'm not sure what to do to help him. The temp in the tank has been holding steady btw 78-82 degrees since i put the heater in. I also have recently done a routine, monthly water change last week and tested his water and it's all good. I am extremely attached to my little buddy and will be very upset if i end up killing him in my attempts to try and keep him from freezing this winter....

HELP!!!
Aliljew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #2 
atb224155

He's probably not used to the heat...I would place him in a separate tank until the main one that you have settles. Then, put the betta back in the tank.
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #3 
Reccka

Wait...you only change his water once a MONTH? Or am I getting that wrong? Start doing it at least once a WEEK and you'll most likely see improvement. In a 2.5 gallon, ideally, you would want to do two 50% water changes a week if you have a filter, but once a week would be a start. If I'm getting that right, he's feeling sick because he's being poisoned by ammonia build up in his water.
Reccka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

I agree with Reccka. The water needs to be changes at least once a week. This add minerals back into the water that your betta fish needs.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #5 
artemis35

Quote:
I also have recently done a routine, monthly water change last week and tested his water and it's all good.
When exactly did you do the water change and how much of the water did you change?

I'd bet that his lethargic behavior is more due to a bit of shock from such a huge change in water parameters, rather than from adding a heater. Bettas are resilient fish, so he did OK for a little while with the monthly schedule, but eventually such a lax water change schedule will catch up and make him sick. So, definitely increase the frequency of his water changes. The sticky thread with "oldfishlady's water changes" in the title will point you in the proper direction.

I know that you said you are very attached to the little guy, and you are already doing a lot of things right - the 2.5G tank, knowing the water temperature, and getting a heater for him. So, up those water changes and consider getting him a filter (if he doesn't already have one) and you should be able to have him with you for a good while!
artemis35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM   #6 
Aliljew4u

His tank has a filter. I test his water every week for nitrates, chlorine, acidity, etc. I also add aquarium salt and stress coat when doing his water changes. When i do the monthly changes i clean everything, the rocks, the decorations, etc. This was recommended to me by another avid betta owner.

Unfortunately he did not survive the night so I am mourning him today and will try again with another one. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. I will read through previous threads for suggestions for their care. Thanks to everyone for offering help and advice. This is the first time i've ever posted anything online but i have read some previous threads when i have had questions about my little guy. So thank you all!
Aliljew4u is offline   Reply With Quote