Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #101 
LisaLB24

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback. I have bought a 2 1/2 gallon for my most agressive girl. I tried putting her back in the sorority and she was right back at it. I pulled her right back out. I think she stirred everyone up though because, while they had calmed a bit this afternoon, they are back to chasing a good bit now. Two girls have tiny pin holes in their tails, barely noticable, and no other damage. I'm going to give it a couple more days to watch things. If no more girls are injured I'll keep it running. If there are any escalating injuries though I'm splitting the 10g three ways, might have to turn the 2.5 into a divided fro a while. Thanks for the support and I'll keep you all posted!
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #102 
LisaLB24

UPDATE!!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm so glad I stuck through the first couple of days of chasing. My sorority tank is now by far my favorite tank. I love these girls. They still chase sometimes but now it almost seems like a game, darting around and hiding in caves or behind plants. They swarm at the front of the glass everytime I walk up, nibble my fingers during water changes and tank cleaning. I swear these creatures are more dog than fish! Thanks for the words of encouragment and advice during the start-up phase. I know I will have to continue to monitor them but this tank is well worth the initial stress!
Old 03-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #103 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

LisaLB24,

I'm glad to hear everything is going well. :)
Betta girls are something special, there is no doubt!
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #104 
GienahClarette

That's fantastic! I'm personally on the fence about trying a sorority in the future or not. They're so cool when they go right, but I'm not sure if I've got the experience to make it work.
GienahClarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #105 
LisaLB24

Quick question on feeding...
I'm using the hikari micro-pellets becasue the girls were having trouble with the regular pellets, but I think I'm over feeding. The pellets are really fine, like sand, and I'm using a small pinch for 6 girls. They devour them instantly but a couple of the girls are still developing quite the belly. How can a monitor how much each of them is eating? I want to feed enough that all 6 girls get some food but the hogs are eating most of it :)
Old 03-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #106 
Thunderloon

I have a glass lid, I open the whole thing up and make it a game of flicking a couple pellets in at a time at each end.

If you have a real hog you can use a large net and hold her away while you feed the rest. The girls who are still hungry will start pecking around the bottom later on, just watch for them and teach them to come up for their name then feed them.

The biggest pig in my tank right now is blutip the female guppy, she's got a LOT of stiff fin to push her around.

Once the girls get really big they'll not be able to dart around so readily.

Try throwing the pellets down at the water to see if they'll immediately sink, the smaller girls will be more able to get at the food.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #107 
livismom

The Delta Nu's

Here is the 10 gallon tank I have set up for the girls. They are doing much better than I had imagined. I have also just added some floating plants for some more cover.

livismom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:43 PM   #108 
livismom

The girls

This is Thalia. She is very shy.

This is Shiloh. She is shy too.

Here is Sarah. She is currently "Queen of the Tank".

My daughter named this one Fatty. Hate the name but well...she is a fatty.lol

This is Farrah. Not a very picture of her.

And here is Darla. She is the bully of the tank. But She is soo pretty and comical. She is in almost every picture. She may be evicted though. She starts nearly every fight.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:25 AM   #109 
LisaLB24

My happy girls!

Ruby, Tilly and Queeny

Lady and Rosy

Popeye

Phin (she's in a seperate tank healing from fin rot she had when I bought her. She may or may not one day go in the sorority...)

All my girls!
Old 03-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #110 
livismom

You have beautiful girls. I love your tank. My daughter insisted on the diva girly theme.