Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-27-2011, 12:54 PM   #121 
Impolite

Last night, I started my sorority. :)
I went to petsmart (the only place with female bettas, I'm not aware of any local breeders). BTW the check out lady annoyed the crap out of me! We got into a fight about if female bettas could be kept together and I just kept fighting her, saying they could. Anyways, I ended up just leaving, letting her believe what she wanted. I already had a female, Chita, in the tank, so I got five more. They're in a well covered tank with approx. 10 hiding spots. I rearranged then started the adding process. I had a 3 way breeder, and I put the biggest female in it. Turns out, she's the nicest, I named her cherry bomb :). I secretly added the others slowly while my first female was distrated, and then I let the one in the breeder go while she checked out the others. I was totally freaking out at first, watching as Chita chased them, tried to nip, while on the other hand I missed another one holding onto a different ones fin!
I put chita in the 3 way breeder and everyone calmed down. I let her out two separate times, both her eventually going crazy. I put her in it over night and took out today. Everyone is good.

Anyways, now this is my all-time favorite tank. Theyre so beautiful and fun to watch. If it wasn't for this thread, I wouldn't have ever done anything so wonderful.

Thank you for making this :)
Impolite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #122 
fleetfish

Well, after eight months of having a sorority, it's come to an end. My beautiful cellophane girl Elwing passed away this morning leaving me with only three girls left out of my original seven. I've decided to wait until the fall to see if I can have another sorority. It's dependant on what I'm doing and wether I'll have the time for upkeep.

I've given the three remaining ladies homes of their own - sterilite tubs for now. They'll be pampered ... they've earned their retirement :)
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 12:58 AM   #123 
rswfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaLB24 View Post
All my girls!
Pure awesome!!!
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:02 PM   #124 
PhilipPhish

I love this thread! It helps a lot!

thanks!
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:36 AM   #125 
copperarabian

This would of been usefull when I started my sororty :D With mine I had a ton of anacharis left floating, as well as two large amazon swords, and a 4 planted amazon swords as well as a few others. my NIB betta were a little more aggressive at first and they now get along fine. I've moved a lot of the floating plants to other tanks where I planted them, but still leave a good amount for them to sleep in at night lol I also added 3 larger girls who I was worried about, but they are big softies lol
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #126 
Arowan

I started a sorority 3 days ago in my 16 gallon, and started with 7 girls.

Today, I came home from class to find one dead. Pretty sure the death was at least partially caused by the other girls, but can't pin down which one as I wasn't home. I usually get home before my tank light turns on, but I missed my normal bus--I pretty much came home minutes after she kicked the bucket; even the other girls hadn't noticed her yet.

I am a little upset, only because I had thought the worst of their fighting had seemed to be over--most of the stress stripes had disappeared.

However, I'm uncertain if I need to take any steps with the other girls... they seem fine, very little "bumping" confrontations since I came home and found the dead one, they don't bother my cories, and overall the fin-damage has been pretty minimal. I'm even unsure if they're solely responsible for the death of the crowntail female, except for the fin damage she had taken, since there were no obvious injuries on her body.

I still want to continue my sorority, my remaining 6 girls are very entertaining and a pleasure to watch... is a death normal? (I feel bad, since I'm only gone 3.5hours in the early morning for my summer class...) Especially since, for the most part, the remaining 6 are behaving pretty well for a new sorority...
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #127 
Neil D

Deaths can happen.

How many females can I put in a 10G?
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #128 
Arowan

Unhelpful response, but you can put up 5-6 females in a 10 gallon tank.

So says the bazillion posts about the topic in this forum.
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:12 PM   #129 
Neil D

Oh, I'm sorry. I suppose my question could've gone in the quick question thread. But I do feel that your response was a bit rude. Thanks for the info though!
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 PM   #130 
Bettawolf19

Was the other sick or hiding at all Arowan?
Bettawolf19 is offline   Reply With Quote