Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #141 
Neil D

Males and females cannot be kept together except for the short time needed for breeding.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #142 
Arowan

I've heard of people doing it successfully, but they're usually in 30+ gallon tanks, and you really need to know what you are doing....
Arowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:53 PM   #143 
fightergirl2710

Sometimes females build bubbles too, the best way to tell is getting them to flare and checking for the beard... Girls sometimes will have beards too but on the smallish side.. Hope this helps! :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #144 
Frankilicious

thanks!
Frankilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM   #145 
Silverfang

I plan on setting up a sorority in the the fall. My question is what will I need in regards to the tank? I can pick up a 20gal for 26$, but it comes with nothing. So what would I need for it, besides the obvious heater, filter of some sort, and the decor inside (plants gravel, etc)? I have the option of buying one with a hood, but it's 20$ extra. Should it be considered a necessity?

I had a fish tank once before, but I am not going to rely on that experience I Was a lousy fish keeper back then.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM   #146 
Neil D

If you want light, then go for the hood. Or make your own if you don't care. But you seem to have everything down
Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #147 
maggiegator

Ever since I got onto this forum and started hearing about sororities, I've wanted one. Right now my one male is in his 10 gallon tank all by himself, but I might oust him and put him in a new 3ish gallon so I can turn the 10g into a sorority. I'm going to be going to Petco tomorrow to check out 3-5g tanks. I'll get my boy set up in his new home before worrying about the sorority. But I'm super excited to get started and to be able to go pick out a bunch of new girls. (:
maggiegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #148 
Neil D

I have two males in a 10g, but I can't exactly get another tank, so...I'll have to wait...-_- lol but I love em!
Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #149 
maggiegator

wooo, I've got my sorority started! Kovu is now in a nice cozy 2.5g, and gets a full view of the girls' tank. ;D Right now he's just watching like "CAT FIGHT!" I've got four girls right now, all a bit over an inch long, so I think they're just babies still. They're just bobbing around in their little temporary containers from Petco so that they can see each other without interacting just yet. And I think I already know who's going to be alpha, 'cause there's one female who's having a bigger fit than the others. :P She's going nuts, just flaring her little gills. It's adorable coming from something as small as her, hahaha.

edit: they seem to be calming down now, so I'm going to try releasing them, but I'll be at the ready with a QT tank and a net! wish me luck! (:

Last edited by maggiegator; 07-29-2011 at 07:32 PM.
maggiegator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:49 PM   #150 
MrNighttime

Started a sorority today in 10 gallon. It was a gift to the girlfriend and she decorated it as she wanted. She bought 3 girls and one is larger and we took her out allready as she was relentless in chasing the others. I know some chasing is normal but they were going so fast you couldnt see them. I figure a day or two of time out and maybe a coupel more girls to spread out the agression will help.

Dodged a bullet today as the "female" I thought i bought last week I think is actually a male but unsure what type. He/it looks liek a female but has no white spot down below. ANd when during fish tank clening I set its bowl by Pickle's 10 gallon tank...Pickle flared and puffed and so did the one in the bowl....so I think I got a male. Whis I coudl figure out pics to get opinions.

Any advice?
MrNighttime is offline   Reply With Quote