Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #191 
Vanah

I'm DYING for a sorority, but I've just heard so many horror stories... I was wondering, if the tank was large enough to accommodate a small school of neons or another peaceful fish along with the sorority, would that help to further spread out aggression?
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:04 PM   #192 
ggriffin411

Unhappy sorority fail

I naively had a sorority of 3 in a heavily planted, lots of places to hide, other small fish for distraction, 10 gallon well established tank. I introduced the girls as I had seen recommended here before I got the courage to join the forum. Everything went well for six months and then all of a sudden one of them turned mean. Overnight one was dead, no marks on her but I assume killed by the aggressive one. I had to separate the other two and even a divider did not stop the aggression. I guess different fish have different personalities.
ggriffin411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:21 PM   #193 
Silverfang

My girls are doing great! Almost one week, a few nipped fins, but nothing too severe. So hard to get good pictures, so I have a video!

http://s485.photobucket.com/albums/r...=VIDEO0051.mp4
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:34 PM   #194 
Pitluvs

Started a 10g for females here the other day. We have 3 from a breeder who kept them together, and 2 from out LPS that keeps females together. So far there is some flaring from the black ct, but the other girls give her the room. I know everyone's spots already. Minimal chasing, no fighting or nipping. Hope to upgrade and add some more from our planned spawn.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 PM   #195 
Pataflafla

I currently have a sorority of 3 girls(used to be 5 but Frog and Oak passed away from parasites and unknown causes, and the alpha was killed by a cat before Sabino was introduced).

With only 3 and some ghost shrimp, they seem very content to be with each other and to steal the algae wafers from the shrimp. I actually don't think Sabino would do well in solitary life. she loves to see what's going on with everyone and be around other fish as well as explore every nook and cranny she can. the other two are sisters (we think since they look almost identical) and are very chill with everyone else.

We've got 2 more girls in qt to hopefully add to the sorority successfully since they're very young and small. And since they were kept in a sorority setting at Petsmart.

Overall, the sorority has beens et up for about 2 motnhs with no issues of major aggression other than Lyra (now separated and living solitary) and Hester (euthanized after a degenerative back issue and unstoppable bloating).
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 04:42 AM   #196 
Vanah

Silverfang I love your girls! <3

Well I read up a bit more and decided to try it. I can't afford anymore Aquabid fish for a while, so I just looked around the local petstores and found a few cute girls. Carefully went about the acclimating process as suggested. So far the only risk I see for trouble is Mercedes, but all she's really doing is chasing everyone around. She's the alpha and Quinn doesn't seem to want to learn her place *just* yet. I think everyone's pretty much picked their areas, and a small school of neons helps to distract them when they start to congregate. It being the weekend I can keep a closer watch on them, but the prognosis for success seems high! :)
Vanah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:09 AM   #197 
metalbetta

I know it can be a little scary at first, since there ARE so many horror stories out there about sororities. A lot of them end in disaster, like mine did. Buuut I can honestly say it was worth every single bit of trouble. I miss my girlies though. :/

Good luck with yours!
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 AM   #198 
Silverfang

I went smart, I got 5 girls that had already been living together. The five were all spawned by the same person, so already sisters. I added one other one at the same time, and she was the one I was really worried about. She's brightened up since she got in the big heated tank.

I was so worried about the horror stories, that is what I'm worried about should I try to add any more.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #199 
Pataflafla

My sister and I put the two new girls in last night for a test run and everything went smoothly. they spent the night in the sorority and are now back in their divided tank. They're too small and fragile to keep with the girls all the time right now, but soon that'll be their permanent home.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #200 
Silverfang

I understand what you mean Pat, 5 of the 6 in mine are uh, how to put it, tiny. The alpha is huge. Most are the ones that must have had growth stunted by the hormones from the bigger ones. Luckily they all seem to be getting along well enough.