Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #231 
mjoy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
I have a question how frequently do you add them, I already know to add 2 or 3 at a time but how long can you add more?
i added all 5 of mine at the same time. that way none of them start setting up territories before other girls get added.
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #232 
kfryman

Alright thanks mjoy. Some people said that adding all of them at the same time can cause ammonia spikes but i guess I can always clean the tank more until it gets use to the ammonia.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:35 AM   #233 
bettacrazymichelle

This thread has been very helpful. I started my sorority of 5 ladies in a 10 gallon recently. I lost one girl and am now having problems with aggression again. I woke up to some new chunks missing on fins. :( Just as they had been healing too!

Do you think this means I should go get 1-3 more ladies? :-/

It's very densely planted w/ real & silk plants, a piece of Mobani driftwood and a vase decor piece with a nice big hole in it.
bettacrazymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:23 PM   #234 
thinkrevolutionx

In my experience, bettas will fight the first day or two.

Bettas will also literally bully to death any sick fish. You telling me that you had last one fish indicates that perhaps there is something going around (bettas generally don't up and die)

More girls the better. Search for my other thread where I document a 10+ betta sorority in a 29 gallon if you want to see how i do it.
thinkrevolutionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #235 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazymichelle View Post
This thread has been very helpful. I started my sorority of 5 ladies in a 10 gallon recently. I lost one girl and am now having problems with aggression again. I woke up to some new chunks missing on fins. :( Just as they had been healing too!

Do you think this means I should go get 1-3 more ladies? :-/

It's very densely planted w/ real & silk plants, a piece of Mobani driftwood and a vase decor piece with a nice big hole in it.

With the missing girl, they will have to reestablish their pecking order, you can get one or two more girls, but three would be to many (7 would be the max for a 10 gallon) you would need to remove all of the girls and re-arrange everything though and then add the old girls and the new ones....
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #236 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkrevolutionx View Post
You telling me that you had last one fish indicates that perhaps there is something going around (bettas generally don't up and die)

Only one of her girls died, she wants to know if she should get another (oops!)

And I hate to sound rude (if this comes off as rude)... but I read through your sorority thread and I just wanted to point out this:

Quote:
(bettas generally don't up and die)

Quote:
Bettas unfortunately are a pretty heart breaking species. I have found them very prone to all manner of diseases and bacteria, and often they will just show up dead for no discernible reason.

I hate to be rude, but I know a lot of times people can word things wrong or take things the wrong way, I know you didn't realize it (I have done it) but only one of her girls died (not only one is alive)... and having recently lost some of my bettas (power outage) I know how sensitive the topic to a loss is...
Old 01-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #237 
bettacrazymichelle

I'm pretty sure I lost her due to an ammonia spike. I had been out of test strips. I got new ones yesterday after losing her and yikes. I've been doing regular 50% water changes, but I didn't cycle. (I know, I know. I have a tendency to impulsive, but these girls looked SO sad at Petsmart that I had to save them.) I'm on top of the ammonia issue and will not add any other fish until I am SURE that it is under control.

There are 4 right now, so 3 more would make the max of 7. Ruby, the runt, seems to be the one doing the bullying now. I'm tempted to put her in her own tank and get 2 more girls that are around the same size of my other 3 girls still living.

And yes, of course I'd rearrange the entire tank before adding the new ladies.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #238 
LittleBettas

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I lost her due to an ammonia spike. I had been out of test strips. I got new ones yesterday after losing her and yikes. I've been doing regular 50% water changes, but I didn't cycle. (I know, I know. I have a tendency to impulsive, but these girls looked SO sad at Petsmart that I had to save them.) I'm on top of the ammonia issue and will not add any other fish until I am SURE that it is under control.

There are 4 right now, so 3 more would make the max of 7. Ruby, the runt, seems to be the one doing the bullying now. I'm tempted to put her in her own tank and get 2 more girls that are around the same size of my other 3 girls still living.

And yes, of course I'd rearrange the entire tank before adding the new ladies.
Does the tank have a filter?
You can try putting Ruby in a "time out" (a plastic container so she can see what everyone else is up to) for a while to see if that helps, but some gals just aren't cut out for sorority life, lol
Good luck!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #239 
bettacrazymichelle

Thank you LittleBettas. It is sad. :( I think little "Red" was just a bit more sensitive than the other girls since she was in pretty rough shape (as they were) when I saved them from their filthy PetSmart cups. I feel pretty awful about it. The other girls are a little twitchy still, but the ammonia levels are testing in the ideal to safe range now. Going to keep up with frequent 25% water changes over the next few weeks until my cycle is obviously settling down. I think I just didn't change out enough times last week with the holidays and my birthday. I still did 2 changes, but probably should have been doing at least 25% every other day. :(
Old 01-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #240 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Thank you LittleBettas. It is sad. :( I think little "Red" was just a bit more sensitive than the other girls since she was in pretty rough shape (as they were) when I saved them from their filthy PetSmart cups. I feel pretty awful about it. The other girls are a little twitchy still, but the ammonia levels are testing in the ideal to safe range now. Going to keep up with frequent 25% water changes over the next few weeks until my cycle is obviously settling down. I think I just didn't change out enough times last week with the holidays and my birthday. I still did 2 changes, but probably should have been doing at least 25% every other day. :(
It is always sad to loose a betta, they really are one of a kind fishes, and since Red and the others were Petsmart bettas, they probably already had damage from ammonia :/
Do you have live plants? I know they help out with ammonia, since the tank wasn't cycled, the sudden addition of the fishies would have caused it to spike fast (Im not a expert on it, but I think thats what people say, lol)