Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #241 
bettacrazymichelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Does the tank have a filter?
You can try putting Ruby in a "time out" (a plastic container so she can see what everyone else is up to) for a while to see if that helps, but some gals just aren't cut out for sorority life, lol
Good luck!
Yup, it has a filter.

I may try that today. Poor Big Bertha (submissive) is getting beat up by the little stinker. I had been worried about her from the get go, but she seemed to reach an agreement with the other dominant and kinda became "2nd in command", but apparently, things have changed. :-/
bettacrazymichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:05 PM   #242 
bettacrazymichelle

Quote:
Do you have live plants? I know they help out with ammonia, since the tank wasn't cycled, the sudden addition of the fishies would have caused it to spike fast (Im not a expert on it, but I think thats what people say, lol)
I have anacharis, anubias and wisteria in there. I also have tannins in the water from my mopani driftwood. Just ordered some almond leaves to help out too.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #243 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazymichelle View Post
Yup, it has a filter.

I may try that today. Poor Big Bertha (submissive) is getting beat up by the little stinker. I had been worried about her from the get go, but she seemed to reach an agreement with the other dominant and kinda became "2nd in command", but apparently, things have changed. :-/
Thats what happened with me, when I removed Eurydice (aggressive female) everyone else started chasing again (few nipped fins was the worst) and now the new alpha is Merle with Dragon as number 2 (before Dice was just beating up everyone and her and Omen were getting into it BAD) sororitys are FUN... but a very delicate balance, lol
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #244 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettacrazymichelle View Post
I have anacharis, anubias and wisteria in there. I also have tannins in the water from my mopani driftwood. Just ordered some almond leaves to help out too.
Im not 100% sure, but I think some tannis can cause the water to spike fast.... pH wise I think.... Im not sure if it affect ammonia though (someone on her did a really cool experiment on it)
Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #245 
BettaHeart

This is the sorority i had about 2 months ago.

Name:  273.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  42.3 KB
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #246 
thinkrevolutionx

I've never had a new betta die (unless they jumped) mostly some of my older girls would just end up floating one day, while being fine the day before :\ that's what I had meant by my statement. It's not rude no worries.

If I had just gotten juvenille bettas (as it had seemed here) and I had lost one, and the others were being aggressive, I would look to water parameters (as was mentioned a possible ammonia spike) or a disease that they came with that you haven't picked up on.

As I have said, in my experience they are very peaceful with some very very rare exceptions (wild fish personalities) and only become nasty with each other when establishing pecking order, or if there is sickness about.
thinkrevolutionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #247 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaHeart View Post
This is the sorority i had about 2 months ago.

Attachment 44543

CUTE!!! I LOVE doubletails!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #248 
BettaHeart

Quote:
CUTE!!! I LOVE doubletails!!!!
Its like pulling teeth trying to find dt ct and hm females here so Zanskar was a great find, especially given that she was one out of four that had survived, the others as well as the ones at the lps didnt last long. i also have a little blue ct female but she is on her own mainly due to her abmornal belly shape (dont think she is eggy) the two yellows were also unburied treasure lol
BettaHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:46 PM   #249 
bettacrazymichelle

Quote:
Thats what happened with me, when I removed Eurydice (aggressive female) everyone else started chasing again (few nipped fins was the worst) and now the new alpha is Merle with Dragon as number 2 (before Dice was just beating up everyone and her and Omen were getting into it BAD) sororitys are FUN... but a very delicate balance, lol
Yeah they are delicate. I currently have Ruby on a time out, but I think she's going to be moved to her own tank. I'm going to get 2 more ladies soon. I was always worried about Ruby. She was super aggressive from the get-go and now it seems to have been taken to a whole new level. The other 3 ladies get along fine, but Ruby.. man. She is a tough little gal. I think she's going to get her own home in my office. :)
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #250 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I'd love to start up a sorority. :P It seems hard!
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote