Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #261 
EmilyN

Exclamation

I released 6 females into my 10g on thursday. At first there was mostly chasing and hardly any bites.

Today I came home from work to find that one of the girls (who seems to get chased and bit more than the rest do) has had her fins torn pretty badly. I isolated the fish that I think is responsible. (she chases and bites most of the other girls as well, just not as bad)

Now I don't know what to do.
Should I take her (the attacker) out of the sorority permanently and replace her with a new fish? Give it time and reintroduce her (if so how long should I wait?)? Let her go back in now and let them all figure out the pecking order?

Please Help!

Last edited by EmilyN; 02-11-2012 at 11:31 PM.
EmilyN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:40 AM   #262 
purplemuffin

Try having the aggressive girl separated in the tank(floating in a cup or something) so she can see the other girls but can't get to them. Let her stay in 'time out' for about a week, and it should help calm her down..If it doesn't, she just might not be fit for a sorority. Let the injured girl heal and she can probably be released back pretty safely with the bully separated
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #263 
icyfishgirl

5.5 wouldn't work for a sorority?
icyfishgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:23 AM   #264 
Myates

Nope... 10 is bare minimum and even then it's rather small for a sorority..

Have to keep in mind, females, by nature, do not like nor want to live with other females and they can be just as aggressive as males.
But since females don't set up a specific territory naturally, we can try to keep them living together in a very densely planted tank.. with minimum 4/5 girls.
The densely planted is to help break up the lines of sight, and the number is to help spread out aggression.

In a smaller tank, such as a 5 gallon, there is not enough tank to hold the bio load that 5 girls would produce, there is not enough swimming space which will cause the girls to feel trapped and become more aggressive to the others, and there is not enough space to give them their own room.

Sororities are tricky at best, and should always be prepared for them to fail.. as most first time hobbyists will experience failures at some point, whether it be a month or a year after set up.
Even experienced keepers/breeders will have issues at some point. All it takes is one female having a "bad day" and attack/kill every other female she sees.
So a small tank is definitely a no-no.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:43 PM   #265 
kmylan

adding new fish

I set up my sorority about 2 months ago and all was fine until just recently. Wanda the Alpha is stressing the other two out. Lots of people have advised not to have 3 but to have 4 or 5 in a sorority and I guess I thought my girls were special. So, right now Wanda is in solitary confinement; Florence and Goldie Hawn are so much happier that they can explore their tank. My question is -- should I introduce one or two more females??? Thanks.
kmylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #266 
Sena Hansler

I have had 4 females together. Most people say "only odd numers" but no... preferably, 4 or more. It evens it out... You could add a couple more girls. Be warned there WILL be fin nipping and some chasing... but this is to establish a new alpha. The way I found that worked best... is have your new girls, quarantine them (highly suggest this!!! 2 weeks!), then when you are ready to add.... do a water change for your sorority, rearrange everything, then put them in. This makes them chart new territory
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 AM   #267 
kmylan

thanks, Sena. When I set up the sorority there was some chasing and nipping for a little while, maybe a week or 10 days, and then they were all happy and peaceful. Wanda just went rogue. Now that she is in solitary, Florence is chasing Goldie Hawn, but not nipping her (yet). I don't like the idea of leaving the two of them alone but it will have to be. I'll see if I can find a couple of healthy females today.
Any suggestion on sizes? Wanda is a good sized female; Goldie Hawn is tiny. Should I get a larger one to counterbalance Wanda?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #268 
Sena Hansler

Try to get an inbetween. For instance, Rose was the baby baby she was bullied A LOT and she is at the bottom of the list, now. Marge is alpha, her sister Tina is second in line, and Zebra, the largest girl, is third. Actually I've had Marge and Tina together first and there were no problems. They got along very well.. But I knew more was better so I got two more (also siblings). After that any female I tried to add seemed too small to add, or were bullied badly, by them ganging up. even after adding them correctly... o_O Now I have females equal to size if not a little smaller to add
Old 03-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #269 
kmylan

Picked up two more girls. I have their cups floating in the aquarium. Florence and Goldie Hawn are investigating. One of the new girls is a Crowntail. She looks like she wants out of the cup now. I bet she'll give Wanda a run.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #270 
Sena Hansler

haha!! just check them over thoroughly. my one girl has ich... now powdered with them pesky buggers!!! the other girl is perfectly fine.