Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-12-2012, 11:29 AM   #291 
Thunderloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmylan View Post
I love my sorority but it is a LOT more work and expense than I thought.
Aye, and if you have enough girls you're always losing someone precious.
Per girl tho it works out to be the cheapest way to have so many betta.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #292 
Sena Hansler

true!! I have 6, and sadly 2 for sure have columnaris from a previous transfer from a gal I used to have. :/ the other 2 are iffy, and then the other 2 are new and in quarantine anyways lol!! -sigh- I don't have space no more :/
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM   #293 
kmylan

My new fish have been released along with the original three and all is well. Grace Kelly keeps Wanda in line, none bother the two smaller fish, and Florence is still the It Girl -- Wanda and GK chase her. But, so far, no major trauma. Trying to figure out how to upload photos....
kmylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 10:57 AM   #294 
kmylan

Old 03-17-2012, 11:13 AM   #295 
Pod

I am prepping all my girls for the 10 gallon tank ahead of time, since it wont be here until April 2nd. I have 6 females, two of which are Plakats, one CT and 3 VT's. The two plakats pretty much fought each other the two times they were placed. I decided to do a risky move; place my oldest female, whom is a VT, into the tank they are all in.

In the past, the older VT chased everyone around endlessly. They all know to avoid her, except the two PK's.

She was placed into the tank, and one of my PK's began tail-slapping her, which she responded to. The result was the two dukeing it out for two minutes before the PK submitted to her superiority. The 2nd PK watched all this from the safety of her plant. One PK is pretty much put in place, as i had hoped.

The other? She was hiding the time that Sam[my oldest VT] was in the tan. After putting sam into her respective cup and floating her, the tank is much calmer.

I know that this was a very risky doing, but, the two PK's were fighting like two males, even though they are all females. Wether or not it was to figure out who was top-dog, I decided to put a quick stop to it the best way i could; Sam.

She put one PK in its place, aswell as reminding the other girls that she remains top dog. It was a risky doing, i'll admit, but. It worked. She is now in her respective cup, floating in the tank.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #296 
kfryman

Sometimes if you have a bunch of mean girls you will need a very strong girl to stop them from fighting. I have a girl that is a fighter, if any of the girls try to become algae and fights her she wins the fight with a ripped fin. That is literally the most damage I have seen on her, one tear.

I love my sorority just because I can keep 5 females all at once. I may get more down the road since it is a 15 gallon tank. Just watch out for diseases, just setting up my sorority before I added any fish I had one death, then I had another death after the first day. They were cupped for the night and that is when one of the girls died, still not sure on the disease.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #297 
Pod

Yeah. Sam is my most aggressive girl. She has a few torn bottom fins, but, that was because the cup tipped over and a girl got on by accident, thus, the two fighting it out because it was such a small space. I removed the girl, though, and Sam pretty much only has 3 tears on her bottom fin. Makes her look like a VT with three fins at the bottom, though. . .

I hoped that i did the correct thing by placing Sam in, and I did.
Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #298 
Sena Hansler

I gotta get Marge back in the game x.x she let her sister Tina get mauled by meaner Zebra - who just went senile. All isolated now -sigh- sororities are hard!
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #299 
kmylan

Florence just ate an entire pea. I was trying to smush off pieces of it and spread it around among my girls when my phone rang, it startled me, and in went the pea. Florence latched on and took off with it, and just swallowed the entire pea! I bet she gets a stomach ache.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #300 
MaisyDawgThirteen

I don't think peas are good for bettas as they are insectivores. :/
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote