Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #311 
MaisyDawgThirteen

And I though guppy fin-rot treatment was a pain . . . lmao
MaisyDawgThirteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #312 
Sena Hansler

Only problem, is they do not "need" 5 gallons minimum. On yahooanswers they'll argue with you to the death to say YES 5 gallons cycled only otherwise you are a horrible person who doesn't have the right to own a fish, or live. (and I know this because they gang up on everyone who owns a betta!) Or aeration, or filtration. Those are mainly extras, but I have half my bettas living in non-filtered tanks

But overall, I guess it's an interesting read. thanks for sharing.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM   #313 
BettasRpeople2

New Sorority

I set up a brand new sorority this weekend. The girls are doing great! There has been very little chasing and not even a ripped fin so far. Everyone seems to get along really well. My cambodian CT, Cinder, will chase every once in a while, (I think she is probably the alpha) but it has been very minor. I hope it stays that way.

I have one girl QT'd that will join them when I am sure she is healthy since I found her at Walmart. She was too pretty to leave, but my Walmart takes horrible care of their bettas. She seems to be doing alright and is finally spreading her fins a bit, so I am hoping she will have a clean bill of health once she recovers from the stress and, undoubtedly, ammonia. I think she will fit right in with the others. When I had them all together in their cups, she did not seem to be nearly as aggressive as some of the others were.

I will post some pics of my tank and the girls when I find my camera and cord. I have six girls (plus the one to join later) and 3 ghost shrimps in a 25 gal, so everyone has lots of room. I feel sorry for the shrimps, though because the girls eat their food before the poor things really have a chance. What pigs!

I have three that have big Buddha bellies which I am guessing is because they have eggs. How long do they typically stay that way, and how do you know if they are eggy or if it is something else (like overeating, mmhmm...pigs)?

Last edited by BettasRpeople2; 03-21-2012 at 10:48 AM.
BettasRpeople2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #314 
Sena Hansler

I think it is different for each female betta... My one gal, Rose, barely gets an eggy belly. While Marge looks like she will explode, which passes in three days.. Tina passes that in about a week.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #315 
MrsFeatherbottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmylan View Post
I've heard they love the mosquito larvae!! Wish I could treat my girls to some. Where I live the mosquito truck comes through a couple of times a night to spray pesticide all over. Yuck. Florence seems to be doing OK but she sure is fat right now.
I wish I could too. I found out from a local breeder that it's illegal to purposely leave stagnant water out. I live in Florida, so it's understandable..yet the perfect place for fresh Betta food.
MrsFeatherbottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #316 
makoisland

A couple questions regarding sororities:

One, how much fighting is acceptable? I know that in the first couple days they will have to establish a sort of pecking order; and it seems fairly natural that they will bicker every once in a while. And of course, if there's one who is overly aggressive to the point of hurting the others, she will have to be removed, correct? But I'd like to be prepared and not freak out every time one fish lunges at another.

Two-- is it true that bettas will try to attack other bettas that are the same color? I've heard that if the fish are different colors, they're not as likely to fight, but I've also heard that this isn't true at all. Any clarification/experiences/even opinions would be great.
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #317 
Silverfang

I like to use a breeder box. You can just stick one in it for a day or two and she will have a "time out". Just keep in mind some girls are a no go for sororities period. Some are like males, destined to live alone.
Silverfang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #318 
Bombalurina

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoisland View Post
A couple questions regarding sororities:

One, how much fighting is acceptable? I know that in the first couple days they will have to establish a sort of pecking order; and it seems fairly natural that they will bicker every once in a while. And of course, if there's one who is overly aggressive to the point of hurting the others, she will have to be removed, correct? But I'd like to be prepared and not freak out every time one fish lunges at another.
Don't worry - most chases will be over in a few seconds, and rarely will you get anything more than an occasional fin nip. I rarely even get that much - my girls just sort of move vaguely towards each other, then one swims away.

Two-- is it true that bettas will try to attack other bettas that are the same color? I've heard that if the fish are different colors, they're not as likely to fight, but I've also heard that this isn't true at all. Any clarification/experiences/even opinions would be great.
I haven't seen this. My mustard gas girl and my red girl tend to be the most aggressive - my two blue girls and my bluey-green girl rarely attack each other.
This is just my personal experience, of course. All sororities are different - I've been lucky in that mine is entirely stress-free. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:08 PM   #319 
Sena Hansler

Oh, for the color question... Take El Dorado for example. He did not react, with any dark colors, which is why he wouldn't breed. He chilled out with the female. >:( However, I tested, and he reacted to a brighter male, Shiloh, who is purple.

I have all blues with one red, females. No problems, really. Some people even have giants in with regulars, and no problems :p
Old 03-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #320 
brettwashere

Hi guys, having problem with my first sorority. I started the 10 gal tank with plenty of live plants and hiding places. Then placed 5 "females" I got from a breeder and one I crown tail I already had, floating in cups. At first everything was ok, the about 30 mins the blue turned out to be a small male. The remaining 5 chased a bit and the was some nipping and I had to time out 1 other fish. When I took this fish out the smaller girls got real aggressive and two ended up with torn fins so I took them both out. I big the first time out fish back in and only mild chasing ensued. A day later I put the smallest female back in and shortly after she took a chunk of fin and a few scales out of a third fish. I took her out immediately. Of the three fish still in the tank 2 are mostly uninjured, and one is the first "time out" fish who is now being the bully. Total of three injured ( badly torn fins) fish. Very disheartened. I don't like to see my fish hurt each other and not sure how much is too much. Do I need to be separating my injured fish for treatment and risk another rough patch trying to re-introduce them, treat the whole tank? My friends are always impressed by my fish and now the girls are looking really sad. Considering just separating them all, but I don't have the tanks to pull it off. Any problem keeping males next to females in divided tanks where they can see each other? I had to move on female next to another male and she's ready to breed already. Is this very stressful if I don't plan on breeding them? Sorry so long
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote