Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2012, 10:24 AM   #321 
Sena Hansler

I wouldn't divide gals and males because they both release smells, which the male can get stressed, and/or the female can get stressed. You may need to rearrange your tank completely, do a water change with gravel siphoning, add conditioned water, and float them in cups. You can tape the cups to the side of the tank, beside each other. Let them see, but not touch, if that makes sense. Acclimatize them, then add them to the tank. Lost fins are very common when they begin to choose a new alpha. Because you removed the imposter ( that lil'male!) you've set it so everyone had to remake a group. So it would've been normal to see that aggression! If no one is infected with rot, fungus, and their bodies themselves are okay (no wounds) you can re-add them all.

I found when the large gal I got attacked Marge (Marge is no longer alpha....) I fed them all. They stopped to eat, and with the food spread out they didn't fight for food. After, they've gotten along.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #322 
brettwashere

, I'm down to three girls in the tanks now. There is some chasing and nipping but nothing alarming. The big red (donna) seems to be the alpha. Looks like I may have to set up yet another tank for the smallest females as they just won't get along. Must be the chihuahua complex.
brettwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #323 
Sena Hansler

chihuahua complex haha nice... I've had my smallest gal not be a bully...but be like a "little sister" and pester her sisters The biggest gal uses her size to her advantage.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #324 
brettwashere

How much fin loss can occur before the fin will not grow back? three of the girls bottom fins look like someone took some scissors to them and frayed them almost to the body.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #325 
Sena Hansler

I've gotten gals who had their fins burned/rotted off, and they grew back no problem. It depends on the care, the fish itself, and how many times the fins have been damaged. I've got a male who has half his fin's length, however Marge grew back all her fins, without you being able to notice they were shortened before it's easier for gals to grow them back. Some, may grow back uneven, or shorter, but I do not have experience with any that have never grown their fins back.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #326 
makoisland

I'm trying to decide where I should get my girls when I'm ready.

Should I order them from the pet store (they don't have bettas in the store-- we also don't have a Petsmart), or from Foster & Smith? On one hand I would say Foster & Smith because they would appear more trustworthy than a pet store, but on the other hand the fish would have farther to travel.

Opinions?
makoisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #327 
brettwashere

Started my sorority with 5 girls from a breeder on aquabid. Fish came promptly, properly packed, and are now living happily in a 10 gal tank. I only buy from breeders in the US, to avoid the trans shipper fees. Only paid $16 shipping for 5 fish! 3 day delivery. PM me if you need some more info. I did have an issue when I first introduced them to the tank. Had a couple of fighters I had to put on time out and re introduce later. Also give them LOTS of places to hide. I feel like my tank is too cluttered, but they seem to be less aggressive. Good luck!
Old 04-05-2012, 06:00 AM   #328 
jeffegg2

I would think that each time you added a new female, a new "pecking order" would surface... The leader is not always the biggest!

Jeff.
jeffegg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:59 PM   #329 
mjoy79

My first sorority experience sure has been a good one. Well I guess I'm technically on my 2nd.
I started with 5 in a 10 gallon for about 6 months and now I have 10 girls in a 20 gallon which is in its 3rd month. Of course the original 5 girls are there along with some "newbies" which now are looking more and more like their predecesors (in terms of size).
I know eventually (hopefully years down the road) this sorority will dissolve.
So my though for my next sorority is to order a bunch of sisters from a breeder - most likely on aquabid. I think it would be awesome to have all sibling girls who are already used to each other and will most likely have similar color patterns.
Don't get me wrong - I love my 10 girls that I have now- I purchased them all from Petco. They're all gorgeous and feisty little girls who are such a joy!
mjoy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #330 
Gracie8890

Hi! I just got a betta sorority! I had 2 females at first and they were great! They would swim with each other like bffs! But i read online it wasnt good to only add 2! so i went and bought 2 more(a little smaller in size). I took them all out and rearranged the tank. I then added the two newcomers. About 30 minutes later i added my old 2. There was a little bit of fighting at first between three of them, but it ceceded after a while. But the other female i introduced they all hated! They would seek her out just to attack her! Shes ok now cuzshe hides in the plants ( she also blends in well with my gravel.) but after three days i woke up and found one of my females( the new one that was accepted) torn to shreds! Her fins were gone and a chunk was out of her stomach! Why did they do this if they already accepted her?
Gracie8890 is offline   Reply With Quote