Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #351 
Enkil

Just wanted to give news on my sorority. ^_^

It has 3 girls right now. Not the ideal situation, but everything has been going just fine. It's a heated and filtered 10 gal. Has decorations that are hiding places along with some silk plants (soon to be replaced with all live) and a floating anubias.

My 3 girls are all HM dragons from DrakMoon. Siblings from the same spawn. I have a black dragon (Freydis), copper marble dragon (Lolth), and a black dragon that is marbling (Eva). When I got them, Lolth was the biggest and ruled the tank. Freydis has caught up with her in size and has now established herself as queen of the tank. Eva is noticeably smaller than the other two. Lately, she's been standing her ground a little bit more when they try to bully her out of a resting place. She'll give a little flare and they leave her be.

My girls like to switch it up between resting together and separately. Eva favors being out in the open for some reason. She also favors resting on the bottom. Lolth likes the barrel decoration and floating anubias plant. Freydis doesn't really have a favorite spot.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #352 
Myates

I am glad you are aware that this is not the ideal situation, but will strongly urge to get at least one or two more asap.. things may be going fine for now, but once they get more established they will start killing each other- normally when there are 3, 2 will pick on one until she is dead, then the remaining 2 will go after one another.

Make sure the tank is very densely planted, not half planted, but planted to the point where you have to look hard and search for them.. as well as plants reaching to the surface is a must. Most sororities end up failing at some point, but the better you get the environment (more females, dense plantings) the less chance it will.

So definitely get some more females in asap and make sure to rearrange all decorations when you add them in, otherwise the 3 girls you have now will go after any newcomers.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #353 
Enkil

They've been in the tank like this for months now. I keep adding plants and decorations along with rearranging the setup frequently. The only problem I've had thus far is that for about a week, Freydis was bullying the other two. It got pretty bad at one point, she wouldn't leave them alone. So I removed all three, rearranged the entire tank, and added in a few things from a new tank I had cycling. She has calmed down since doing that.

I do have plans to get another 2 females (at least) along with an upgrade of the sorority tank. It's just a matter of finding the right females at this point. I have set aside money for them and have been keeping my eye out. I had picked out one girl and was going to get a pair as well. An accident happened and so I am not getting them. Working with the breeder to perhaps still get fish from them.
So right now it's a matter of finding a breeder who has stock available. I've found some I like on AB, but they've all been overseas or in Canada. With my social anxieties and such, working with a transshipper is really unappealing.
Enkil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #354 
Tikibirds

I set one up in a 10 gallon - currently there are 4 females and 3 huge wild caught snails. I'm not sure if I should get another female or not - I know snails are poop machines and there are about a dozen babies in the tank now too- they are live bearing snails and the adults are the size of moss balls (they are also covered in moss). It's filtered with an Aquenon quietflow for 10-20 gallon tanks and is cycled - would another female be too much? its mostly fake plants but there are like 12 things of anacharis in it

I also have a 20G long that is empty till I am able to find (and by find I mean afford) a stand/shelf for it.

Ohh and the females are all young - not sure how old they are but they are not adults yet. There was some nipping at first but they seem to have settled in fine.

I miss my old soerity - those girls were awsome :(

Last edited by Tikibirds; 05-09-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 08:14 PM   #355 
jaela

Am unfortunately going to have to rehome one of my girls, bringing my sorority down to 5 girls (plus my habrosus cories). This one girl is just too, too aggressive and I cannot seem to keep her from picking on the other girls for more than a couple of days, no matter how dense of cover I provide or how much I change up the tank layout. She's currently in the tank in a breeding basket, still sometimes flaring at other girls if they swim by her, though she can't get to them now of course.

She's such a beautiful girl but I don't think I have the time to keep up with multiple tanks right now, so we're going to have to part ways. Still trying to decide between trying to keep the five remaining girls as they are, or buying another girl and risk ending up with an overly aggressive one who will have to be rehomed again. =\
jaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #356 
Tikibirds

I had one girl that was like that. I ended up taking her out and giving her her own tank.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #357 
Lenimph

I have a female betta in 10 gal as of now with just 2 corys and I was considering starting a sorority. Problem is ... Isabetta was really aggressive to all the males I've introduced to her for breeding so I'm worried about how she'll get along with girls and if I even should even add other girls since she seems to pretty assertive that the whole tank is her territory.
Lenimph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #358 
Bombalurina

Rather than start a sorority, I would get more cories. They like to be in at least groups of 4, 6 being better. Make sure they are all the same species! :) Having extra females in with the cories would overstock you.

Bought three new girls for my sorority and was very excited about my very pretty, well-finned female...who has a massive beard and like to try and make babies with all the girls. Sigh. I wish it wasn't so hard to sex fish in-shop!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #359 
Yaoilover12397

For adding more females to a sorority, how does one go about this?
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #360 
Bombalurina

Cup or bag all of the girls, re-arrange the tank completely, making sure that there is lots of cover, then release all the girls. Some recommend doing this from least aggressive to most aggressive, but since I find it difficult to tell, I just let them all go at once.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote