Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-14-2012, 05:43 PM   #361 
Timberland

great post! I have several planted sorority tanks and love them.
Timberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #362 
Liquid

I may set up a set up a sorority of 6 bettas in my 30 gallon.
Liquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #363 
Micho

If it's 30 gallons I would up the numbers, simply because that would spread out the aggression more. If you have room it's always a good idea to up the numbers of girls in the tank.
Micho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 PM   #364 
Cattitude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micho View Post
If it's 30 gallons I would up the numbers, simply because that would spread out the aggression more. If you have room it's always a good idea to up the numbers of girls in the tank.
I'm about to start a new 26 gal sorority tank. I haven't put the fish in yet. A couple of questions:

1. I'm planning to have 5 or 6 cories. When stocking the tank should I add them before or after the girls? Or does it matter? I want to try to avoid them being picked on by the bettas.

2. I have 5 females so far, waiting in betta bowls for the tank to cycle (the sixth grew a beard and started making bubble nests when he was placed next to one of his "sisters"). Should I get more? What's the maximum for a tank of this size along with the cories?
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #365 
Micho

1) I'd add them first, 6 is the minimum for a shoal for most species of Cories. If you add them later, they might get picked on simply because the girls would have established their own individual territory.

2) Yeah I would add more girls, for sure. 5 is really not enough for a 26 gallon, try to find five more other girls you can increase the number too if you like. Be prepared to re-home some of the girls because they might be too aggressive or that they're too weak and get picked on.

I've seen your tank and it's a NPT, the only problem I have with it is that it doesn't have the cover for a sorority, you have plants, but you don't have plants that are tall and big that break the line of sight. I suggest covering your tank with more tall plants, live or fake, doesn't really matter.

Something like this (taken from the first page of this thread):

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM   #366 
Cattitude

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I'm off to the pet store tomorrow...
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #367 
Tikibirds

Quote:
Some recommend doing this from least aggressive to most aggressive, but since I find it difficult to tell, I just let them all go at once.
yeah, i try to release who I think is the lowest ranking one to the most agressive but in all honest, I can't tell. I have no idea who the Alpha is. Even when I had 11 girls, i had no idea who it was - they all seemed fairly mellow
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #368 
bettafishlover5346

Smile My 10 gallon betta sorority tank idea

Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be alright to put somewhere between 17-30 female betta's in a 10 gallon aquarium. The tank is cycled, because I added some ammonia yesterday to do a fishless cycle. (I think I added about 2 gallons of ammonia.) I will provide lots of decorations to make my fishies happy, and make sure to feed every day. I am even going to add a bubbler!
bettafishlover5346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #369 
Micho

Uh, 17 ~ 30 female girls in a 10g? No. 10g can only house roughly around 4 ~ 7 girls at most.

2 gallons of ammonia is a lot. . . I'm pretty sure you got the calculation wrong, if you're doing a fishless cycle with pure ammonia you need to calculate how much ammonia is needed to dose the tank with 4ppm of ammonia. . . Also just because you added ammonia doesn't mean it's "cycled", the bacteria needs to turn ammonia into nitrItes, then into nitrAtes, once you get a reading in nitrAtes around 10 ~ 20ppm or so, then you'll know it's cycled.

I suggest you do more research first before diving into this head on.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #370 
MollyJean

For 10 gallons I wouldn't put more then 5 girls. 17 of any fish is really overstocking a 10 gallon tank!

A fishless cycle can take a month in a 10 gallon tank. You should be doing water tests every day. If you need help cycling, check here

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Read the first post over again and make sure you understand everything. Lots of plants and hiding places are a must :)
MollyJean is offline   Reply With Quote