Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #371 
Bombalurina

Please tell me you are trolling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishlover5346 View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering if it would be alright to put somewhere between 17-30 female betta's in a 10 gallon aquarium. The tank is cycled, because I added some ammonia yesterday to do a fishless cycle. (I think I added about 2 gallons of ammonia.) I will provide lots of decorations to make my fishies happy, and make sure to feed every day. I am even going to add a bubbler!
If you've added two gallons of ammonia, I suspect that your cycle simply won't happen. You need to have about 4-5ppm of ammonia - I'm willing to bet your ammonia levels will read of the chart. Also, the fact that you added ammonia yesterday doesn't mean your tank is cycled. It means your tank is full of ammonia. The cycle isn't instant.

And I agree, 17 females would be ridiculously overstocked. Also, bettas don't need a bubbler. Heaters and filters are what you need.

You need to do a lot more research - I suggest reading all the stickies.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #372 
Yaoilover12397

How many females would be okay in a 40 gallon?
Yaoilover12397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:32 PM   #373 
Bombalurina

Aim for around 20. :)
Old 05-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #374 
bettafishlover5346

Wow. I was obviously very wrong about my tank! I guess I will do just 1 male, because I don't like the way that a divider looks in the middle of the tank. (I looked at youtube). Thanks everyone, I was expecting positive responses about my tank, but I have now done some research and I just need to do a cycle. I guess I will dump all of the water out, because 2 gallons of ammonia is WAY too much! The problem is, I don't have a test kit for the ammonia and the nitrate and the other thing. I also don't know which cycle I should do! I could get some zebra danios and change the water every day or I could feed the tank,( I read that feeding a tank does not work very well).
So, my question are:
1. What method should I use to cycle my tank? feed the tank? live fish method? pure ammonia method? (where can I get pure ammonia)
2. What kind/brand of test kit/strips should I use to help cycle my tank? Please do not say the most expensive type/brand, but maybe a cheaper, but still reliable brand.
bettafishlover5346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #375 
bettafishlover5346

I know that this is a little off topic for the 'Female Betta Sororities', but I also am curious about what fish would be compatible with a male (or i could get one female) betta in a 10 gallon tank. Could I get kuhli loaches? what else could I get to coexist with a betta in a 10 gallon tank???????
bettafishlover5346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM   #376 
Bombalurina

Hi Bettafishlover

I'd suggest starting your own thread in either Betta Fish Housing or compatibility so all of your questions can be answered and you can get continuing advice and lots of opinions. :)
Old 06-01-2012, 11:43 PM   #377 
djembekah

I started my sorority today! the littlest girls hide quite a bit, and Effie is pronouncing herself queen. I haven't seen anyone actually hurt anyone else though. It's going pretty okay!
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #378 
Wolfie305

I have a friend who had a female betta in a 20 gallon tank of guppies for a day or two. She just added two more females today.

Are you supposed to add the females at the same time? What should she be looking out for now that they're added?
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #379 
ZergyMonster

It's more a rule of thumb for it to be a minimum of 4 girls for a sorority, that way if one gets hurt it can get away and the rest can get picked on. You will need lots of hiding places and they can be put in at random intervals just be sure you rearrange the place if you're adding a few when there are a lot to begin with, that way they have to set up their territories all over again and it will be a level playing field.

Also not all female bettas will get along so you should always have a back up plan for when and if your sorority fails.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #380 
Wolfie305

Thank you!

She just told me that her females are in separate tanks now and are slowly dying DD: Asked her what the heck happened damage wise.
Wolfie305 is offline   Reply With Quote