Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #461 
teeneythebetta

Yeah idk how long it takes for the fins to curl, I've never personally had a CT I just Picked up this info on the forum, I saw pics of CTs with curled fins its sad to look at but thankfully does no harm to the fish.
Petsmart sells an API carbonate hardness test

Last edited by teeneythebetta; 09-07-2012 at 10:19 PM.
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:33 PM   #462 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
honestly you got me stuck there ihave no idea on hardness tho ik my waters quite hard. and easily makes calc. buildup but iv yet had a girl get a curled tail, or even boy o.0

but mine, it did go over some of my boys orange. but not alot. but i wouldnt worry. iv never mixed red and blue paint and gotten orange ;) so i wouldnt think a scale can be orange and turn like blue. tho my boys finnage did a lil but mainly on the trim and some of the thingymajigers [staf thngs dk what to call them im tired XD] but not a whole lot. so i woudlnt worry to much on that :P
i agree, the blue wont take over all the orange, its just an annoyance if it takes too much. i mainly got the betta for his orange colours and set back getting a PK. i still love the orange on him but i might need to rename him to Naruto if blue takes a noticeable area.

i got my first CT knowing fin can curl. my VT has some curling but i dont mind it too much. i still use tap water for the cts but add ozonised with max 002ppm of sediments to reduce the hardness and use IAL along with that their rays are still growing back to full length so i cant tell if the tips will curl just yet. thank you Teenythebetta for answering that question. it took 2-3 week for my pinapple CT to curl. he had tiny double rays on the tip ends. i think finrot got them eventually and then the regrew 80% of their original appearance.

lol i can imagine the annoyance of the LPS employee when someone asks for 1 tail type betta when there are 29 more that look nearly identical. i'll be heading to the general area of that LPS for other reasons tomorrow but i'll look at the female betta the currently have to check tail types though i didnt see many double tails. there were 2-3 colored females there, im presuming they might be one of the higher ranked individuals.

Last edited by nel3; 09-07-2012 at 11:37 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #463 
babystarz

I finally have a picture of my sorority tank; welcome to Bikini Bottom!

The tank is 14 gallons, with 5 girls. They have been in the sorority for about a month now and they're doing very well together, although they do all try to jump over each other into the air at feeding time. They remind me of a litter of ravenous puppies. I'll have to take a video next time I feed them bloodworms.

For shelter, there are 3 Pineapple houses, 1 Squidward house, and a big coral reef/cave thing. They all have at least 3 exits so nobody gets trapped in a corner. The fake plants are also quite big, they provide excellent cover. I may also add some surface plants in the future but the girls have not shown much aggression beyond normal after the first few days of settling in. In the future if I were to design a sorority, I'd probably prefer to go with live plants. But this one is really fun and colorful. Plus, it's right next to my TV so watching Spongebob is a trip :D

Last edited by babystarz; 09-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #464 
teeneythebetta

Cute tank, baby starz! I'm glad they get along :)
teeneythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:11 PM   #465 
babystarz

Thanks teeney! I'm glad they get along too. I am going to permanently remove Gwen soon for breeding and add my two copper juvenile girls as soon as they're big enough sometime here in the next two weeks. So we'll see if the tank stands the test of some different fish! I'll be sure to switch around the decorations when I take everybody out of the tank too.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #466 
nel3

i am in some bit of luck regarding the female betta at the LPS. they're all PK though their colours arent too dazzling. its the usual red blue blend that one might find. i'll probably drop by there if the fish are still around when i have an empty space. i wouldnt call it saving though they are pretty darn stressed out so a brown black one will have some luck on her side.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #467 
pyro fiend

ooo nel make a post and update about her when you get her home, then in few hrs and then over next day or 2? i love seeing them change colors <3 XD
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #468 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro fiend View Post
ooo nel make a post and update about her when you get her home, then in few hrs and then over next day or 2? i love seeing them change colors <3 XD
id love to do that though the only tanks that could hold a female betta would not be possible. those 3 are occupied by my 2 CT and DT. i have the other 2 betta in the 5g divided and only 1 hospital tank ie 1G tank. i dont have the space for any decent tank to go anywhere. i dont mind 1g tanks though 100wc every 2 days is a bit of work.

5 bettas is my personal limit due to tank size WC schedule. had i not lost a betta in the KK3.4g or 2.5g tank then a female is feasible. i got 2 males in the 5g the other one that died was from the 5g.

the females i saw had exterior red fins and either a blue/red or red/blue dominant hue. nothing really special in coloring. the demand for female betta is low and ppl prefer the flashy males do they didnt get any spectacularly colored female PK. though should the time come and those females are still alive, one will come to a better home.

the ones that were coloured had similar body colour to this guy though with more red hue on the body. you could say its a false purple at times.
http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...shm&1347427214

Last edited by nel3; 09-08-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #469 
pyro fiend

lol my boy has a purple hue. he was all purple when i got him at wm.. got him me in a 2.5 he was a blue and purple... now hes been cycling my 20g his colors changed again.. hes a purple hued red and blue cambodian viel o.0 lol he kinda cute now.. but i liked having a purple betta [curses prodrummernate who said i should let him circ my 20g] lol thats a vry beautifull betta tho o.0
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #470 
nel3

im not too crazy about purple bettas as there's no true purple but they still look very nice.