Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #511 
angelus2402004

so when i get my fish , i want to get some neon tetras and some female bettas for my 20 gallon. do I keep them in the same 10 gallon for quarantine but all the females separated from the neons until i put them in the 20 gallon?
angelus2402004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #512 
skepkat

I have a new 10 gal tank for 4 females. I have 2 fry (Petco Baby Betta) and if they are girls they will be added. In another few months I plan to upgrade to a 29 gal for them.

Below is my tank set up (I love lots of plants in a tank - until they grow in well, I added some free floating Anubias). I have a heater, but don't want to add it yet (days are mostly over 80 still). Any recommendations?
Attached Images

skepkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:58 PM   #513 
pyro fiend

if im not mistaken the babys will take months to determin sex right?

thats looks kinda nice :) i myself have a lil more plants, or well they cover more water i should say, and i dont feel comfortable at all with puting any females in yet. it looks like you was lucky and got some rly calm girls :O
pyro fiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:21 PM   #514 
Aahnay

i have 2 like that too, or one. I think they are females though. No fry. I looked closely and saw maybe one, but it was floating 1 inch below and away from the nest, he had no interest in it. I moved the bubble to look into the leaf cave, and nothing was there now.

females back, male out. Last night while feeding one jumped out of the tank. I didnt know and was looking in tank, then thought floor and there she was. She swims odd so I put her by self. She holds a little bend in her body, so she did get hurt. I feel very bad for her.

Now the new male today has build a huge nest, and is flaring. I think because he was young? he didnt get it till he was with all the girls. And, well it him him suddenly and he just did what came naturally. =) but now i three unwanted males.

Oh well. I think you can test him/her put next to a female, and put a bit of an arced cover in his bowl. See what happens. Although this female to male was housed with a female in the qt, and nothing happened. They were divided by mesh.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #515 
Aahnay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepkat View Post
I have a new 10 gal tank for 4 females. I have 2 fry (Petco Baby Betta) and if they are girls they will be added. In another few months I plan to upgrade to a 29 gal for them.

Below is my tank set up (I love lots of plants in a tank - until they grow in well, I added some free floating Anubias). I have a heater, but don't want to add it yet (days are mostly over 80 still). Any recommendations?
I think even at 3 mos they are hard to sex unless you have been with them. If they are very little, then you cannot put with the 2 you already have. You should also have an odd number like 5 or 7, for 10 gal. In a 29 you can have more.

When you put them in put the weak in first then the strongest. But they need to be all the same age, thats why I got this group of girls, they are all sisters. Except one. and I think someone bought a sister, and then returned a diff one in her place. She is white and not a dragon, all the others are dragons and black or blue or red or all colors.
Aahnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:46 PM   #516 
pyro fiend

i think ill test sherbert with a male when the time comes. shes like 2in tip to tip. and has evthng tht says female. i aint looked at beard tho as shes small and i dnt see it sticking out. but ik females also can make nests. paparazzi my hmdt is always flairing so i think hell be the perfect test subject :)
Old 09-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #517 
ZergyMonster

When measuring the size of a betta you measure from the tip of the nose to the beginning of the caudal tail.

I have a male whose beard has been "lost" to poor conditions so it can be hard to tell off beards alone. But there are a lot of different ways to tell males and females apart.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #518 
pyro fiend

thanks for the measuring tip, but this girl wont sit still for a second <3 i had a girl id'd on here a few weeks ago as a def female, and a vt. she looks 100% identical to the other girl,excluding colors, even same size. so im 85% sure shes a fem.
edit!also had no idea males can loose their beard from poor conditions :O
Old 10-12-2012, 05:43 PM   #519 
paris38

Hi!I am new and have been thinking about starting a soroity and was wondering if I could have 8 male guppies I currently own in it.The tank is a 38 gallon.:)

Last edited by paris38; 10-12-2012 at 05:59 PM.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #520 
paris38

I was also wondering how many females I could have.Thanks!

Last edited by paris38; 10-12-2012 at 05:48 PM.
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote