Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 06:54 PM   #661 
AyalaCookiejar

Okay, so after 3 and a half months of planning, my sorority is FINALLY SET UP AS OF YESTERDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please excuse my shouting an excessive exclamation marks - I am very excited, if you could not tell.

At first there was some chasing and fin nipping and quite a bit of flaring but it all calmed down after a couple of hours. It seems they have it figured out. However, Mercy, my purple female, has stress stripes that keep appearing and disappearing (and she also has a small piece missing out of her tail from shipping), and Lotus, my pink EE, has a split in her anal fin. It's a straight split, though, so I'm hoping it will heal quickly on it's own. There is vitachem in their tank which will help it heal and will boost their immune systems, too.

So anyways, here's a really bad video :) I'm trying to upload pictures to my album but they are huge because I took them off my camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM9mJ94vwws

:) Enjoy!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #662 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I love your girls! Very nice tank and very nice stocking. Watch them carefully for the first two weeks!
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #663 
AyalaCookiejar

I hope that no more fighting arises. I mean there was a little, of course, but nothing too bad. The only injury I see now is that rip in Lotus's anal fin :( it looks like a clean tear that should heal easily.

I'm going to be testing water params daily. There is a filter and live plants and I'm planning on getting some more.

At this point, I can't really tell who the alpha is/will be. I think its probably between Mercy and Ascari and I definitely don't think its Lotus or Stella. But I guess that could change?

I'm not 100% sure what to expect, though. Is it safe to assume for the next two weeks that there still may be some fighting arise and that they're still probably establishing a pecking order?
Old 04-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #664 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Two weeks is the usual amount of time it takes for them to establish their pecking order. There will be some ripped fins, maybe a bit of scale damage. IMO it is easiest to see who is dominant at feeding time.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #665 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks! Is it possible that there won't be hardly any injuries? At feeding time, it seems like the dragon girls are more dominant. Lotus seems to be clear at the bottom of the chain. I had to make sure I dropped food right in front of her so she could get some, but the rest of the girls had no issues. (I guess that might explain why she has the first ripped fin.) Ascari is definitely the most aggressive.

At first it seemed like a giant fighting ring but it really calmed down quickly. They seem like they are at least pretty good at tolerating each other, especially when they are in close proximity.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #666 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

It's definatly possible. That's what I experienced though.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #667 
babybetta

started a sorority a couple days ago went to petsmart forgeting about the betta sale. Decided I want to try a sorority got 4 vail females. took my 20 gallon out of storage washed it all up put deep layer of gravel down. Robed the community of most of its plants. Put in the spare filter I run in the community. 2 small caves and one huge castle and a heater from the horde. ordered even more plants. Had a jumper who got out in the night thought I saved her but she didnt make it. went back to petsmart exchanged her for another vail and got 2 crowntail females and a few neons for verity. Had a bad fight when I let the last one in because the decided they wanted to be top fish. been camped out in a chair infront of the tank for most of the day for 3 day net at the ready if things get bad. mostly seems ok except the goldenrod one has it out for a pale blue who I have decided is named teeny. so far so good tho I think. still have the meds and salt at the ready tho.
babybetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #668 
justmel

I could swear I saw a thread on here once that answered my question (before I thought about bookmarking or anything) and I've been looking for it all day, but can't find it now. I am looking at getting a 29 gal tank for a sorority. How many bettas would be to many for that? I currently have 4 females that can go in a sorority and 3 that should be shipped Tuesday. I am looking at ordering another from Aquabid on Thursday. Is 8 a good amount of females for a 29 gallon? To many or maybe not enough? I know I need enough to spread the aggression out and all that. I just want to make sure I don't put to many bettas in there. Right now there will also be 1 full grown female guppy & several guppy fry, 2 cory cats, and a few snails.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #669 
AyalaCookiejar

You should be fine with 15 in a 29 or maybe a few more. Depends on how you wish to stock the tank... They would have about 2 gallons per girl. I've got six in my ten with a cycled filter and live plants and its doing fine handling the bio-load.

Of course you want at least 4, but if recommend at least 5-6. More is better. With no other fish I'm sure you could do 15-17ish in a 29. But people warm against adding them all at once... A few people have said they lost some girls when they added 9 at once.

You'd want to cycle a filter at 4ppm ammonia in a second container and/or have a ton of live plants, especially fast-growing ones, to make sure the cycle won't be shocked by a sudden bio-load. Well socialized girls would be best, especially younger girls, and I would QT them in containers next to each other and see-through so they can get used to each other first without being able to get to each other.

I got my six girls from breeders at a young age and they were already in a big sorority tank (most breeders do that) and I QTed them next to each other. I haven't had a whole lot of fighting or injuries besides minor fin tears in my two smallest girls.

Edit: I don't know the bioload of the ones you mentioned but 8 would work fine. I'm not sure that guppies work well in sororities? I know they shouldn't be housed with males.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #670 
justmel

Thank you Ayala. I'm going to get some containers like you mentioned here and QT them all right there. I'm going to make the 29 a NPT, so there will be lots of live plants, snails, shrimp, extra. 3 of my ladies are coming from 1 breeder on here & four of them live together now. After the guppies are gone it will be a full betta tank (besides the extra snails and whatnot doing their jobs), so I guess I will be on the look out for some more lovely ladies, but no huge rush. After QT the 7 I will have should get along fine until I can get everything ready & if 7 ends up being to many then one of my ladies will get her own home & I know just the one. My little Freya might be happier by herself anyway.

The guppies are kind of left over. The one full grown one has a spinal deformity that makes her unsaleable. Most of the time she acts like another bettas with the other girls. I've had no problem with them being together and the only ones nipping fins are the bettas. All the little ones are just waiting to grow enough to find new homes.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote