Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #671 
nel3

this wont be a sorority but i would like to know about anything to look out for in my new female PK. long story short, my VT passed from a growth/tumour yesterday and i bought her as a replacement. she'll be going into my 5g divided tank. in the tank already is a DeT orange chocolate male. she'll have a nerite as company on her own side.

what signs should i look out for when i introduce her to the 5g within 2-4 weeks? i know they'll show off each others goods and try to interact but how long should it last until they calm down? my DeT didnt care much at all when the VT male was on the other side of the divider.

ive sanitized the heater used in the brief time i isolated the VT in his final hours. i didnt leave any heater in the 1g QT but temps remained 23.6 and stable due to room temp. when the heater is safe it'll go in the tank and i'll start raising the temp up.

Last edited by nel3; 04-08-2013 at 01:48 PM.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #672 
justmel

Got a question for you all. I had to take my sorority apart because one of my ladies ended up being a boy. I got a female to replace him with last night. While I acclimated her & put her in her QT tank she was fine. A little stressed and kept swimming all over the place, but no stress stripes or anything like that. I put her QT tank by the other girls so they could get used to the site of each other & that changed. She lost all her color and very prominent stress stripes showed. All the sudden she clamped up a little and seemed to try and make herself as small as possible. She's twice the size of my other ladies, but it was obvious the site of them really upset her, so I blocked her view of them & when she didn't start relaxing I blocked her view of everything else overnight. This morning the stress stripes are gone, she's swimming like normal, no more clamped fins or anything. When she see's the girl it's the same reaction, so I've isolated her again. Am I handling this correctly or is it better to leave her where she can see the other ladies. She's in QT for 2 weeks and the sorority won't be going back up until then at the earliest, so I can take it slow if she just needs some special attention and time to relax.

What I know of this females past is this - some lady had 5 bettas and for some reason had to get rid of them, so she gave them to the pet store to sell. Being as she gave them 5 bettas at once and said they were all female I think she tried a failed sorority. When I bought the boy from the tank all the females were hiding behind the filter and absolutely colorless. So she's been rather stressed lately anyway.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #673 
AyalaCookiejar

Quote:
Originally Posted by justmel View Post
Got a question for you all. I had to take my sorority apart because one of my ladies ended up being a boy. I got a female to replace him with last night. While I acclimated her & put her in her QT tank she was fine. A little stressed and kept swimming all over the place, but no stress stripes or anything like that. I put her QT tank by the other girls so they could get used to the site of each other & that changed. She lost all her color and very prominent stress stripes showed. All the sudden she clamped up a little and seemed to try and make herself as small as possible. She's twice the size of my other ladies, but it was obvious the site of them really upset her, so I blocked her view of them & when she didn't start relaxing I blocked her view of everything else overnight. This morning the stress stripes are gone, she's swimming like normal, no more clamped fins or anything. When she see's the girl it's the same reaction, so I've isolated her again. Am I handling this correctly or is it better to leave her where she can see the other ladies. She's in QT for 2 weeks and the sorority won't be going back up until then at the earliest, so I can take it slow if she just needs some special attention and time to relax.

What I know of this females past is this - some lady had 5 bettas and for some reason had to get rid of them, so she gave them to the pet store to sell. Being as she gave them 5 bettas at once and said they were all female I think she tried a failed sorority. When I bought the boy from the tank all the females were hiding behind the filter and absolutely colorless. So she's been rather stressed lately anyway.
One thing that I did for my girls during QT was I put plants in each QT tank as well as some plants between the QT tank so they could see each other, but they didn't see each other 100% of the time. I had some issues in the beginning with flaring but I never saw stress striped in the QT tanks. If she is a pet store female and has never been socialized well, she may not ever be cut out for sorority life. I don't think that keeping her completely out of sight from the other girls will help at all, but if she continues the behavior she's got now, it might be a good idea to get a different female.

Sometimes its a hit-or-miss situation when choosing females, especially pet store females. Its important to either have a back up tank for any female go doesn't work out or a plan to rehome her or return her to the store.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #674 
justmel

Thank you Ayala. I know this female was kept with at least 4 other bettas in the past. 1 of which was a male (I bought that one as a female and found out it wasn't when I put him in the sorority). Luckily with 17 bettas I have a lot of options for homes for her. She is calming down enough that I was able to open a small area on her QT tank so she could see what's going on around her. Today she was getting stripes every time I even looked at her. I think she might just be extra stressed right now & need some time. I can give her that time, but rest assured, if she doesn't fit community life she will get her own space. I already have 1 female that doesn't fit in a sorority, so I can just get a divider for her 5 gallon tank.
justmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #675 
Warhawk

I am setting up a sorority tank this weekend and I have been reading up for the last few weeks. Here is my plan 20 gallon tank, Filter is a simple sponge and sand as a substrate, 3 large plants and 7 caves. I'm thinking 7-8 females would be find.

My questions are do I need a cave for every female?
How many females can I get in a 20g tank?
I have a 20L I was thinking about putting dividers in for males but maybe I should move the sorority over to that tank.

I'm reading this full thread but it is taking a while a lot of info.
Warhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #676 
LittleBettaFish

I honestly don't like using caves for sororities. Firstly I've noticed a majority of my bettas rarely use them. When I had a sorority the females spent more time in the upper levels of the tank than they did the bottom.

Also, with caves that have only one entrance, there's nothing to stop a female from following another one in there and starting a fight. This is why I prefer the use of plants (whether live or fake) as cover, as they provide an actual physical obstruction.

Opinions on how many females to have in a sorority vary. I am someone who overstocks sororities as I feel it allows for a more even dispersal of aggression. I would say you could have up to 20 females in a 20 gallon tank. However, if this is your first sorority I think 10 would be a good number to aim for.

Here is a thread I posted on sororities. It provides some additional information.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123796

I just want to say that it is very important you quarantine all your females separately for at least a couple of weeks. Disease is a big killer of sororities and even visibly 'healthy' females can be sick.

Also, is your tank cycled or are you going to be putting your females into an uncycled tank? Maintaining water quality is crucial in sororities. For these fish, living in a group can be stressful enough, without the added stress of deteriorating water quality and the effects of ammonia/nitrite poisoning.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #677 
Warhawk

Sorry should have said yes the tank is cycled I'm moving a filter over from my other tank that has been cycled for months. I have been keeping fish for a while now and I have a few tanks set up and running.

I didn't think about the one entrance to the cave issue. I'm using coconuts so I could cut another hole in them giving another way out. But I like live plants better just grow slow. I'm planning on buying all the bettas at one time from the same location so I didn't think quarantine would be needed but if need be that isn't a problem just adds some time to my set up.

Thanks for the info
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #678 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah I wasn't sure how experienced you were with fishkeeping.

Sororities seem to be a lot more fragile than the typical community tank. Go through some threads here and you'll see how quickly they can be wiped out. Even if they are coming from the same source I'd still quarantine just to be on the safe side.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #679 
Warhawk

I understand it's better to ask and be sure.

Only problem with quarantining that many is tank space. I have enough to do 6 at a time so might need to space it out a little while longer. Problem is the tanks won't be very big for each.

I will keep reading stuff here to get ready. Thanks again for the info
Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #680 
LittleBettaFish

Back when I had a sorority I never quarantined. However, I think most people just seem to keep the females in the cups/containers they were purchased in. These are floated in the sorority to keep the water warm with frequent water changes done.

If you have a spare heater and tank/plastic tub available, you could also do a sort of bain-marie style set-up where the females are put into jars or containers that sit inside of the tank. This keeps them separated, warm and only requires the use of a single tank.