Same color.
Same favorite hidey.
Same sounding name.
Nothing else to do.
Food snatching.
Flaring at friends.
Bullying for status.

How it works:

I've got a little one, Fins, maybe one inch from lip to end of not-healed-yet tail who got nipped twice because she's precisely the same color as my largest girl. The largest girl, Sheen, isn't in charge because Cherries is a light touch and the rest of the girls prefer her in charge. Cherries and Blue sleep together side by side tail to cheek. Blue loves me the most and nearly froths at the mouth when I give her attention. Rose gets confused by it but hangs out with her anyway. Rose protects Petal who is precisely the same as Rose but a month younger. Petal likes to follow Purp around and see how Purp copes with other fish. Purp is bullheaded and will barge into anything, I've seen her knock the algae eater off like males knock snails off. Purp protects any fish near her but Petals doesn't like competition for her closeness to Purp. So Brownie is a loner and Purp likes to see how she's doing then brings Petals along but Brownie is Rose's size and this drives Fins away from Brownie and Sheen sees Fins alone and swims over to nip her tail again.

I put fins in the 4-way, mel/pima in the water with some stressguard and Sheen became nuts with jealousy then began harassing everybody but made the mistake of going after Blue (who's half white) whom everybody sees as my favorite and the entire pecking order stomped on Sheen's head.

Why is Sheen so cross? Silver looked almost the same and was Big Fish when Sheen came home. Sheen thinks she inherited Silver's job.

Silver was a great sorority queen and ruled with an iron indifference and lightning fast waffling. So Sheen thought she was in charge until Cherries wouldn't let her sleep for a day after attacking Fins.

I don't think Carnation, Teal and Red even knew there was a problem. Red came home with Fins, is the exact same size, behaves the same way and nobody has touched her.

Carnation is the oldest girl and remembers who was in charge before Silver and supported Cherries, now she's quiet and hides behind the filter to sleep.

And the bloodfin twins swim on.
The molly boys take turns chasing each other.
The male guppy constantly loses the nearly three inch female guppy.
The algae eater darts around obliterating anything that isn't a plant.
Twinkle (brilliant personality) and Nod (same color as Twinkle) still don't know each other exist.

So, now you understand why you need so many girls for stability in the tank and why we love sororities so much.

Teal killed herself today. Crowntails just won't stop eating for any reason, some even have pica and will eat snail shell, little rocks, loose carbon shards...
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #82 
Guppie luver

Question

can i get like 8 diffrent colerd like red white purple yellow orenge blue and like 2 mix colers
Guppie luver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #83 
Thunderloon

Part of sorority tanks is to embrace the rainbow hope I don't get sued.

I only have several blue girls because I hope they stay green when they come home, guess I'm an easy fish date.
Thunderloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:32 PM   #84 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Thunderloon,

Geez, the action in your tank rivals those old tv soap operas... drama, drama, drama!

You should be a writer, if you aren't one already... :)
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #85 
BettasAreBomb

hope someday to get a sororety but not till i move out of my mim and dads house
BettasAreBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:07 PM   #86 
thinkrevolutionx

Just for reference, I have over 15 bettas including a male in a large community tank (75 gallons) the only time I ever had any aggression was when there was only 3 females (long time ago) or when the male was in a 10 gallon community.

They literally climb all over each other to say hi to me, or for food. They might as well be a schooling fish for how well they get along. The male is included in this, no biting chasing or nipping whatsoever. My danios are more aggressive then the bettas. Have this going for about 4 months with no issues, maybe i'm an exception but don't believe it's not possible, I think as long as they are happy it's no issue (heavily planted, lots of hiding places, multiple pieces of driftwood, perfect water parameters here)

It's clear who's in charge - but mostly because I pick it up by how they interact with each other, how they separate for food, and who has the balls to take food from who - it's really a personality thing.

I really recommend giving it a shot, of all my community fish bettas are the only ones that could all look identical and i'd still be able to tell who is who based simply on their behavior.

Really the only thing more fun is my mostrous ghost shrimp, who just does laps back and forth in the tank bumping into everything and comes up for food like the rest of them.
thinkrevolutionx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:31 PM   #87 
roboglitz

So glad this is a sticky, I have been thinking about starting a sorority of my own and was looking up how to do it, ty for the info!
roboglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #88 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

I was lucky, and able to establish my sorority this week.... WAY ahead of schedule.

In the 20H:

4 baby female bettas (3-4 months old), 1 female betta about 6 months old, a male and female guppy, 5 green neons, 3 bronze corys and 1 p. khuli loach, female.

After the tank cycled, I stocked them in this order:

5 green neons
3 bronze corys and 1 p. khuli loach
Male and female guppys (golden snakeskin with mosaic black & yellow on tails)
3 baby bettas, F
6 month old betta, F

Last baby betta was a hold back (to check her health). To introduce her to the tank, I did the following:

*waited for 40% water change and tank cleaning day.
*scooped out bettas from tank in reverse order of dominance, and put them in bucket of old tank water.
*cleaned tank and added fresh water. Did not re-arrange anything.
*fed new baby betta and added her to the 20H. (She immediately started herding the guppies, which are twice as big as her!)
*fed original bettas in bucket.
*replaced bettas in reverse order of dominance.
*turned off tank light so everyone could chill a bit.

So far, the new betta girl is settling in like she's always been there. :)

I don't think I want to add any more fish now; this tank is DONE. We'll need the capacity as the betta girls grow.

My monster, ginormous and crabby Baby Blue betta girl now has her 5 gallon all to herself, which is for the best. I've got the divider handy, if I need to quickly 'rehome' anybody.

I'll post a picture soon :)
Old 02-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #89 
Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

Oh, I wanted to mention that originally, I had 4 baby betta f and 1 of them was super-aggressive... she was chasing around the 6 month old betta F and trying to bite her!

That baby was taken back to Pet Smart (explained that she wasn't suitable for a sorority - they took her back with receipt, no problem), and replaced.

The sorority is a much 'betta' mix now, and the feisty little girl I returned will get a more suitable home. ;)
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM   #90 
LisaLB24

I posted somw of this here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=64077 but thought I could ask your opinions. I've got seven girls ready to go in a 10g cycled tank. However, I noticed that 1 has a slight case of popeye and the other has a pretty bad case of fin rot. So all the girls are currently still in their cups while these two have a chance to heal. What should I do? Go ahead and add the 5 healthy girls and add these two later after they have healed? Keep everyone in their cups and add them all at the same time. I guess another option is to return these two but that would pretty much guarantee their death :(
Suggestions?
LisaLB24 is offline   Reply With Quote