Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-21-2009, 06:52 PM   #1 
dfeisty1

Straight from the shop!

Aloha from Hawaii. Very new to all this...especially with the betta. Took my daughter to the pet shop yesterday just to "SEE" all the fish. Well, long story made short...we spent over an hour just "LOOKING". Left with not 1 betta, but 2! Can someone please tell me the correct way of transferring them into an approx. 5gal. fish bowl...details of the water condition and having to let the water "stand"? Have no clue, but we are willing and ready to do what is needed. Also, when we took our bettas home, my boyfriend decided to name them when I went to work. BIG NO NO! Buyer names it was my reply...so we may have three afterall. Thank you in advance for any info.
dfeisty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #2 
Vikki81207

Click on the Yearley'sBettas link in my signature and there is a shopping list for your bettas on the first page. =D
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #3 
loppy656

To tranfur your fish you can do 1 of the 2 things.
1.Get a net and get your fish out and place the net in the new tank.(let the fish swim out by its self) This to me is harder to me espesualy if the fish is in a rounded bowl. And is not for a young child to do the first time or by them self. But I recomend this for the first time because it the fish dose not think of the net as a thret yet and the water is derter then normal.
2. Get the tank all ready and take the contaner the fish is curantly in dump out some of the water thats in the small bowl, but not to much. Just enough to let the fish (while your tilting the cup so the water tuches near the edge) get a breath at the mouth of the cup so you can quicly pour the fish and as little water as you can into the tank.
Hope that helps!
loppy656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:17 PM   #4 
loppy656

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppy656 View Post
1.Get a net and get your fish out and place the net in the new tank.(let the fish swim out by its self) This to me is harder to me espesualy if the fish is in a rounded bowl. And is not for a young child to do the first time or by them self. But I recomend this for the first time because it the fish dose not think of the net as a thret yet and the water is derter then normal.
2. Get the tank all ready and take the contaner the fish is curantly in dump out some of the water thats in the small bowl, but not to much. Just enough to let the fish (while your tilting the cup so the water tuches near the edge) get a breath at the mouth of the cup so you can quicly pour the fish and as little water as you can into the tank.
Hope that helps!
Can be used for any size tank.
Sory for such the long post!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM   #5 
loppy656

You don't really need to let the water sit (I know I don't) but you can let the water sit for like 5 minuts to let the condisiner and salt (if used) do its thing.
I recamend useing the salt but don't let that slow you down from puting your fish in tonight. They don't need the salt.

P.S.
I went to hawaii this summer and loved it!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #6 
Jupiter

Welcome!

If you don't have a water conditioner to treat your water, you'll have to let your water stand for 24 hours before adding your fish in. this gets rid of cholrine and other harmful chemicals that can kill your fish.

To put the fish in, you first put the bag (or cup or whatever he came in) in the bowl and let it float around for about half an hour. This is so that the betta gets used to the different water tempuratures. if you dump him into the water right away and there's a big difference between the two, I think they can go into shock.

I'm assuming that since you're in Hawaii it's nice and warm where you live, so I don't think a heater would be an issue.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:00 AM   #7 
AngelicScars

You aren't housing them together are you? They need to be in different bowls/tanks. Or you can add a divider to keep them separate in one tank.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #8 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppy656 View Post
Hope that helps!
I guess you can transfer your fish like that. However you need to acclimate them first. Like Jupiter mentioned. Also what loppy was getting at was, try to get the fish into your aquarium without adding a lot of the water the fish came in.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:33 PM   #9 
Kim

First you need to properly condition the water and get it the right temp. 80 F is perfect for bettas so you'll need a heater if you don't already have one. You do know that bettas can't be housed together right? Are they both going in the 5 gallon divided or do you have separate tanks for both of them? Also, unless you are planning on doing 100% water changes once a week you'll need to cycle the tank. Here's a great link on cycling:

http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=3738

To acclimate, first float the fish in it's container in the tank for 15 minutes to let the temperature adjust. After 15 minutes take out around1/4 - 1/3 of the old water (which you'll throw away) and add 1/4- 1/3 new water. Wait 15 minutes. Continue for about 45 minutes to an hour then take out as much water as you can from the cup (a turkey baster works great for sucking out the water) to avoid dumping the bad water into your tank, and let the fish swim out into the new tank. This method has never failed me and when I put my fish in they act as if they've been in my water all along. You need to acclimate slowly because the water parameters are different and can shock your fish; by acclimating slowly you bypass this problem altogether.

I hope this helps!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote