Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #21 
TigerLily

If I remember right, ghost shrimp are scavengers, and will eat whatever they find on the bottom, while cherry shrimp can feed on algae.

I'm not 100% sure though, maybe someone else around here can confirm or correct me.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:23 AM   #22 
loppy656

What do chery shrimp look like?
So dose algey natraly acoer in the tank and would i have to feed it something extra? If so what?
Old 09-22-2009, 08:56 AM   #23 
ElmoFish

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...25&pcatid=2725 - and in a 1.5 gallon tank you should not have algae, as you should be doing full water changes once or twice a week. I don't suggest putting anything else in the tank, but if you feel that you must, shrimp are the way to go, as they will not produce a whole lot of waste that will harm your fish.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #24 
okijapan

Sorry Loppy, but shrimp are very sensitive to water conditions, I doubt they would survive the 100% water changes, the pH swings, the ammonia spikes Etc.

Check out point 8 ... Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

And the 7 th question ... Petshrimp.com -- All about shrimp

Sorry, you can try but I don't think it will end well.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:09 AM   #25 
doggyhog

I wouldn't. Really. 1.5 is barely enough room for a betta. Just keep and betta in it and everyone will stay happy. Shrimp would be the only thing I'd add. Bettas really don't LIKE company anyways.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #26 
Rohland

also don't add cory catfish!
You would need at least 10 gals. And they need a lot of them to be happy, as they are shoaling fish. Also salt burns then :(
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #27 
ElmoFish

Personally, if you feel the need for more living things in a tank that size, I would suggest a live plant. No.. they don't swim around and greet you when you enter the room, but it can be very rewarding to take care of them, and they do great things for your tank by neutralizing ammonia created by your betta. Your betta would love you for it. Just my .02.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:10 AM   #28 
AlexXx

Loppy no offence, but your being ridiculous. Listen to these guys, especially dramaqueen, they know alot more than you do because they have had ALOT more experience and MANY more fish than you.

Also, have you never heard of google? geez...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ghost+and+cherry+shrimp

then u can look at images and read all about them.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:46 PM   #29 
CodeRed

Throwing in my .02 as well, you might want to know that it could end up very bad for either one or the other. Your betta might end up simply killing and eating the shrimp, or shrimp have been known to latch onto betta tails. In a smaller tank, I think the risk of death or injury to one or both creatures increases dramatically. I say keep your betta alone, and save up that money to upgrade his tank size, until you have a large enough tank to actually get him a couple of "buddies" and not have to worry so much.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the plant idea is nice. Maybe you could find some nice ones that aren't overly difficult to maintain.
Closed Thread