betta fish

Old 09-22-2009, 03:07 PM   #11 
dramaqueen
Banned

Very nice tank!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:13 PM   #12 
andakin

that is a very nice tank. my plants always end up dying on me. i must be doing something wrong.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:18 PM   #13 
RoseyD

Well, I'm in the middle of an algae battle from that window (which you can see from the picture - I put the tank too much in the natural light) - and, since last week, when I took that picture - I now have growing green all over my gravel.

But, I removed Galahad on Sunday, so it's only the plants growing in there right now. However, the temptation will be that I'm going to the local fish store tonight... looking for some heaters for the tanks I have set up (who don't have heaters yet)...

another betta? if I find a heater for the 2.5 gallon sized tank??? Oh my... yes. the temptation is sooo strong!
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #14 
RoseyD

plants die for two major reasons. Lack of proper fertilization. improper lighting.

every one of my tanks is different - I have 4 planted tanks going - and, in one tank a plant will work, while in another, it fails. The substrate is the same - so it comes down to lighting.

find out what type of light you have on the tank, what kelvin temp, and how many watts. Then you do a simple formula - watts/gallons water = low, med, high ... then you can figure out what plants meet those light requirements. Internet research of each plant will help alleviate some of the plant worries, the rest is just trial and error.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:31 PM   #15 
andakin

i envy those that can properly maintain a planted tank. i would not recommend plants to a beginner because its harder than it looks. sure it improves the aesthetic value and water quality (if done properly) , but the work required to maintaining it is not worth it.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #16 
RoseyD

I don't know if I agree - I did my first planted tank concurrently with a 'non' planted tank... and it's addictive. It takes a lot of research, keep reading - I spent a month planning out my first tank, ordering the light fixture, and all the 'li'l' details before I set mine up.

The first month was extremely trying - the things like algae - it's expected to happen - and, beleive me - it does! and, for someone new like me - I was so worried - but, the comments I got from other el natural forum members was that I needed more plants to make competition for the nutrient levels in my tank. And, the whole process becomes an experiment.

Im 2 months in now - and, addicted to the whole process. Is it more work? to begin, yes. But, after a while, once you get the process down - and, the plants respond to your method - you find you don't have to do any work ... most especially on the larger tanks. My first 20 gallon is due a 20% water change - My 30 gallon tank is 1 month along - and needs a 15% water and a wash of the floating watersprite because the algae in it is becoming rather unbearable. The 2.5 gallon tank really needs to be moved away from the window - I have it on a weekly cycle to remove 70% of the water - although, I skipped last week because I knew that I was moving Galahad out of there. - The 20 gallon long that I set up 3 weeks ago? - well, I need to do some chemistry tests on it and see how my levels are. If it's ok and it should be, because I began the tank using a 'used' filter - then all I'll do is top off the water. and, my newest tank, the 15 gallon that I set up this weekend? - I won't have to worry about doing anything to it for another few weeks - except find some more plants to put in it.

5 planted tanks? and only 2 months in? ... how crazy is that? :) But overall - the ease comes from not having to do massive water changes unless there's a major clean-up issue. The fish poop? fertilizer.

The non-planted tanks will always have the same cleaning schedule. You change the filters regularly. You siphon, and/or wash the gravel. You change the water fully or partially as part of a weekly routine.

The planted tanks, once settled and running smoothly, just aren't this schedule driven.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:58 PM   #17 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
Sorry I was at school. My betta's bowl is about one gal. but petsmart sells little plants.
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #18 
RoseyD

here's an example of what Diana Walstead did with her 1 gallons bowls and her simple set up.

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...imp-tanks.html

She designed her two bowls as 'shrimp tanks'.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #19 
misstephaniexxx

question:
Do you NEED soil? would sand or a fine substrate work too?

im thinking about making the ten gallon im getting next week a planted tank, and im pretty much going to be home all weekend, so i'll have time to play with it, but yeah
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #20 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
that was helpfull, thanks!!!
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote