Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #1 
annyann

Talking The making of a sorority in a 25 gallon cube tank

First let me say im new to this forum, just found it a few days ago. Its been a huge help for finding info on starting a Betta sorority. I have been planning this sorority for about three months now and i'm really excited. I have kept fish off and on for years, but this will be my first real attempt to keep multiple females together..
My tank is a craigslist find... It's not the ideal shape (as I have come to learn from reading here the last few days), but I will have to make it work. It is a 25 gallon cube.
Anyone who would like to follow along is welcome
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 AM   #2 
annyann

The first pic is obviously of the whole tank, stand, and canopy. My hubby built the canopy and I painted it.
The second pic is of the front side of the tank, third pic is of the left side, and last pic is of the right side..
Attached Images

Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #3 
annyann

I know the scape is too sparse right now, but my plants are growing in and the tank is in the middle of cycling.. The creeping Jenny (then plant growing on the sides and back) grows really fast and it should have filled in a good bit by the time I put the girls in. It will grow around 14-16 inches tall.
My family and I collected the driftwood from a local lake, I boiled it for hours to get it ready to add to the tank! I have attached Java Fern on the middle and upper branches and it will create a kind of wall or underwater tree ?? Maybe..
Anyway it will really break up the line of sight when it grows in, but unfortunately the Java Fern is a slow grower.
I also have some Golden Pothos in the front that grows fairly fast.
Im running two CFL bulbs 6500K 23 watts each for grow lights and my substrate is Petco black sand and a little bit of old eco complete.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #4 
annyann

Im trying to be patient, my tank is still cycling.. Im using fish food to do the fishless cycle. My tank has had .25 of nitrite for about 8 or 9 days now. No ammonia so at least im on the downhill side of the cycle.
I guess I should be glad its taking so long really, it gives my plants time to fill in more.
I do already have my girls! They are all in quarantine and doing awesome, I have six girls right now, three from Petco and three from Petsmart. They had some issues when I got them, and I had to treat each with Methylene Blue for three days. They have since been on a good diet of live, frozen, and good quality Betta pellets. Now they are super healthy, active and there colors are vivid. I'll post pics of them soon.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:54 PM   #5 
Tabbie82

I love, love, love your tank! It is gorgeous! I want to start a sorority soon and will be following your journal. I wish you all the best and can't wait to see how your girls get along.
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 01:42 PM   #6 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabbie82 View Post
I love, love, love your tank! It is gorgeous! I want to start a sorority soon and will be following your journal. I wish you all the best and can't wait to see how your girls get along.
Thanks Tabbie! Im glad to have you along! When in the future do you hope to start your sorority?
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM   #7 
Tabbie82

It will probably be awhile. I have the tank I want to use for the sorority, but it is currently occupied. That doesn't stop me from daydreaming and planning for a sorority, though!
Tabbie82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #8 
annyann

My tank is has finally finished cycling!!!
I still can't put my Betta girls in yet, because I wont be home tomorrow to watch them. Im hoping to put them in on Monday! That way I can put them in early and spend the day watching them to make sure nobody's a terroir and gets too rowdy.
I have to make a trip to Petsmart before then and pick up another plant or two to help fill the tank in a little more.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:43 PM   #9 
annyann

Well here are my girls, they are all in 1/2 gallon bowls till they go in the tank next week. The pictures don't do them justice
Especially the little cambodian girl, Dot. The picture of her definitely does not do her justice! she has blood red fins, with light blue rays and red dots or "freckles" on her face and head.
I haven't picked out names for them yet (except Dot) so I just kinda labeled them what they are to make it easier.
The one labeled first blue is the first Betta I got.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #10 
Viva

Your tank is so pretty! I absolutely love the driftwood in there! It would look great with moss or just anubias plants all over it. The girls are so pretty...Dot is such a cutie!!!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote