Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #21 
Janan

I would have liked to see some floating logs or caves for them to hide in. You may quickly wish you had some floating plants at the surface, too. My girls chased each other a lot at the beginning and took advantage of anything they could dart in and hide.
Janan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #22 
annyann

Well everything went great this morning, I added the girls and like I had thought the big blue girl was the most aggressive. I let her out last and up till then the other girls showed very little aggression, no more than just flaring. When I let big blue out, she was a terror, she chased and then started tearing fins and causing major stress strips. She went after the other girls even though they didn't want to fight back, so I took her out and she will not be put back in. All five of my other girls are happy and showing no aggression, well maybe some dirty looks and a bit of flaring.
For the most part no damage was done, big blue took a bite out of three girls back fins, but nothing to major. I think she would of caused major damage if left in there though, because she did this in a matter of minutes. For now it seems like little blue and little green are on the high end of the hierarchy and Dot and red girl are low. I just looked at my tank and no one has stress stripes and every ones color looks good. Tonight they will eat chopped earthworm (if hubby will chop it...
As for big blue, I'm hoping my son will take her in. He has a 10 gallon Daino tank and she would make a nice addition. If not, she will have a 1 gallon to her self for the time being.
I couldn't get good pics of my girls, but I will share some bad ones lol.

Oh and I also have three orange Playties in the tank, they are good "dither fish" and also do a decent job at eating algea.
Attached Images

annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #23 
Viva

Your girls are so gorgeous! As Quinn said, 1 or 2 floating logs and some floating plants would be great in there to help diffuse any aggression towards the surface of the water where bettas like to hang out most often. Your tank looks awesome otherwise, the plants will eventually fill in and it will look even more amazing!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #24 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viva View Post
Your girls are so gorgeous! As Quinn said, 1 or 2 floating logs and some floating plants would be great in there to help diffuse any aggression towards the surface of the water where bettas like to hang out most often. Your tank looks awesome otherwise, the plants will eventually fill in and it will look even more amazing!
Thanks Viva, I added some floating plants and will try to post some pics soon, the girls have been in the tank for five days now and all is well so far. I made a mistake last night though, I decided to add a shrimp pellet and broke it into three pieces, well they all got really angry over it and of course each wanted it for them self. Three of the girls, big red, big green and little green ended up flaring and tail slapping one another. Several girls ended up with nipped fins! I won't do that again. There all back to normal today.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #25 
Viva

Haha glad to hear they're all okay after the brief "food fight". Once they establish a pecking order they probably won't fight as much. Can't wait for pics!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #26 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janan View Post
I would have liked to see some floating logs or caves for them to hide in. You may quickly wish you had some floating plants at the surface, too. My girls chased each other a lot at the beginning and took advantage of anything they could dart in and hide.
Hi Janan,
I added some floating plants to the tank, these are actually clippings from one of my potted plants, it roots in water and I think it will do okay floating on the top of the water. I'll have to keep an eye on it though to make sure it doesn't start to die off. So far it's looking good and is already forming new water roots.
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #27 
Janan

It looks great! Your tank is filling in nicely. My tank is taller, like yours is, so you will be glad you have some cover at the top.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #28 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janan View Post
It looks great! Your tank is filling in nicely. My tank is taller, like yours is, so you will be glad you have some cover at the top.
Yea the girls are really enjoying swimming under the plants and i'm hoping it will look really cool when the roots start filling in and hanging down.
Do you have a tank journal? I can't find many (or any really) threads or journals using tall tanks like mine that house a Betta sorority.
Old 11-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #29 
PetMania

Oooo, pretty!

Subscribed =)

I love sororities!
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #30 
Janan

I have a thread called "Janan's first sorority. I haven't updated it lately, so I'll try to get some pictures and update the thread. I started with 7 females and gave one (Pretty Bird) to a friend. She was constantly stressed and I was afraid she would get sick. The other one I named Trouble. She stalked Queen Bee and was relentless, so she went to California and is the proud mama to the beautiful fry in the Blue Marble PKHM thread.

I added some cories to the tank and have some happy fish. They have all settled in with each other and get along fine. I want to add a couple more females, but I hesitate to disturb the peace.

Good luck with yours. You've got a beautiful tank set up.