PetMania

how's everything going?
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 PM   #32 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
how's everything going?
Hi PetMania, everything is going really well so far, the girls have been together for 6 days today. I can clearly see that my little blue girl is the alpha and Dot is somewhere at the end. The only problem I have had with aggression so far (other than big blue which had to be removed with in the first few minutes of adding her) is when I broke a shrimp pellet up and put it in the tank. They got really aggravated with one another for each was trying to claim it and there ended up being some nipped fins. I won't ever do that again.
I just added some floating plants yesterday and they all seem to be fascinated with it. I think they all seem to want to claim it as their territory! Im going to have to really watch this and make sure it doesn't turn into aggression. If it does I may have to remove the mass of floating plants.
annyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #33 
PetMania

I suggest putting food in multiple places. This reduces the aggression a bit =)

I'm starting a sorority as well, so I am checking in on all of the journals. Good luck on yours! Remember, more girls is better. Overstocking rather than understocking. I follow the rule: 1 female per gallon
Old 11-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #34 
annyann

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
I suggest putting food in multiple places. This reduces the aggression a bit =)

I'm starting a sorority as well, so I am checking in on all of the journals. Good luck on yours! Remember, more girls is better. Overstocking rather than understocking. I follow the rule: 1 female per gallon
Yea I wont make that mistake again! There is no aggression at all when I feed frozen, live, or pellet food. It was just the fact that the shrimp pellet takes so long to be ate that it turned into a real food fight...
It is so exciting starting a sorority! Good luck with yours as well!
I do plan to add a few more girls unless the girls I already have won't let me. I kinda think that it won't be a big deal to them as they are all young and when I get more girls they will be young as well. Fingers crossed anyway...
Old 11-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #35 
PetMania

Well, you should add more soon if you do plan on having more, so you don't disrupt the pecking order. Young females = good!
Old 11-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #36 
annyann

I wanted to give an updated this morning, yesterday was a full 7 day week since I added my girls. Things are good right now, I did have to seperate my big green girl for about 48hrs due to the fact that I had a shrimp die in the tank and it turned into a major food fight and she got the most damage done. My girls are a peaceful bunch except when it comes to food that takes a while to be eaten (like a shrimp pellet or skeleton of a ghost shrimp). I separated her cause I wanted to feed her some extra live food and get some stress coat in with her. I also wanted to make sure she didn't get any more nips till there was some healing. In just 48hrs her fins healed a lot. It's amazing what a few large meals of mosquito larva and super clean water will do. Her top fin still has a large chunk missing and I bet it will take a week or more for it to fully heal, but shes back in the sorority and I see no aggression amongst them now that the shrimp has been removed.
On a side note, I went to Petco and Petsmart yesterday, there selection of female Betta's was sad. The ones they had were faded and drab in color so I didn't get any new girls for the sorority.. I did however get a baby Betta! The poor little thing was barely hanging on to life, completely starved and sunk in. I don't know if it's a boy or a girl, but I will post some pics of him/her soon. If it does turn out to be a girl I hope to add her to the sorority tank one day when she is older, if the others would accept her that is. If not she/he will have a spot in mine or my daughters room with his/her own small tank.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #37 
annyann

Here she is! You can't see it in the pics, but she has red lipstick on lol.. so cute!
For now she is in a specimen container floating inside the sorority tank, that way I can easily change the water everyday and it will stay heated.
The last pic is one I just took of her, she has ate several meals of baby live mosquito larvae and is in clean, heated water. She looks better already huh?
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #38 
annyann

Update time!
Sorry the pics aren't very clear, it's really hard to get good pictures while the fish are zooming around. My rainbow of Betta girls are doing great. There hasn't been any noticed aggression since their last food fight. The new baby Betta I got a few days ago is also doing good. He is in the specimen container floating in the tank. I think its a male, I need to figure out a name for him.
The girls have been in the tank together for 12 days now.
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #39 
annyann

Here is baby Betta boy, I think I have had him four days now.
As you can see in the last pic he looks very similar to Dot, except she has freckles and he has lipstick.
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #40 
annyann

11-23-2013
Here is a sad update, my baby Betta Tot died this morning. I dont know what happened, he was doing great and grew a lot over the last 12 days I had him, he had live and frozen food every day, I never could get him to eat pellets. I kept his water so clean... He ate last night, but I did notice he wasn't as aggressive as he usually is at feeding time. I dont know what happened, but i'm not going to be getting another baby Betta from Petco.