Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #1 
Maryrox247

Unhappy Not again! PLEASE READ

Ok i looked at spectrum this morning and i almost cried... i saw the same white/clear fuzzish stuff spread all over his body in clumps as if he rolled in feathers... this happened to midnight too the day or two before he died. I only had spectrum and midnight for like two weeks! Whatam i doing wrong? is it juts the petstore? He is in a 2.5 gallon filtered and heated tank uncycled. I feed him hikari bio gold pellets 5 days a week fd bloodworms 1 day and fast him 1 day. The temp is currently 79 degrees fareighnheight. I have some melafix and the equiptment for salt baths and as for the melafix i dont know how much to add to my size tank. (Bottle doesnt say) And i'm not sure i should put it so PLEASE HELP SPECTRUM!
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #2 
Maryrox247

Oh and he is very lethargic and stays still quite a lot but still uses his side fins. And he is hanging above the filtye ( its an uderwater small filter.) and staying at the very top. :( i dont know if i want a sorority now... i just kill bettas.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #3 
ElmoFish

sounds like a bacterial infection like columnaris, http://www.flippersandfins.net/flexibacter.htm, if thats what it is.. I had 2 crowntails from the same store come down with it within a week of purchase, and unfortunately I didn't have any luck with treatment, but there is some good info in that article. Good luck with Spectrum!
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:20 AM   #4 
ElmoFish

And as for your sorority, females tend to be more hardy than males in my experience.. I would still go for the sorority, you're not doing anything wrong, it's just bad luck..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #5 
Maryrox247

Well i dont know if its that it looks too white. Spectrum has it all over his fins too and now his fins are all contracted and look thin because he is doing that... and the stuff is more smoky colored. he wont eat now and just yesterday he look fit as a fiddle and was muching his pellets down like they were sweet manna from heaven!!

Last edited by Maryrox247; 09-22-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:34 AM   #6 
Maryrox247

Now he is swimming up while "waddles" his body then staying completely still while floating down and when he feels his bottom fin hit the bottom his swims upi again to repeat... please please help. and the stuff on him keeps looking more and more like debris? Smoky clumpy soft-looking stuff all over his fins and body? some of it is hanging a little bit off hif fins?!
Old 09-22-2009, 11:09 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Have you medicated him yet? It sounds more fungal than bacterial. You could try Jungle Fungus Clear and if that doesn't help, try tetracycline.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #8 
AlexXx

Ya i agree, females , from my experience at least, have never had problems, while both of my males have had some gnarly fin rot....

I dont know about your predicament though, never had a fungal or bacterial infection. :(

good luck!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:59 PM   #9 
Maryrox247

He is about to die... he is on the bottom with hardly noticable gill movement and when i put the net in to schoop him out ( i thought he was dead) he just stayed stilll unstil a lot of nudging and then swam up the floated down... Why did this happen to both of them?
Old 09-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

You asked about Melafix earlier in the thread. You use 10 drops per gallon. I hope the Melafix will help him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote