Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-22-2009, 08:36 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

Please help.. just a few questions.

Freddie's tail has gotten worse.. is this tearing or tail rot. Im getting aquarium salt tomorrow but if that doesn't work then what?
here is his tail

here is his tank or bowl

Im getting a refund check soon and will be using some of the money to buy both freddie and my other betta "fish" 2.5 gallon tanks...
Does anyone have a good tank they like (from petsmart or possibly walmart)?
what comes with it and what do I have to buy extra?
Can I have mystery snails or dwarf frogs in them?
How do you clean aquariums.. im supposing its different from regular bowls.?
Should I get real plants or silk ones? which is easier to maintain?
How long does it take to set up? Do I have to cycle water or can I fill it , treat the water, and just add the betta?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 PM   #2 
BettaxFishxCrazy

I buy 2.5G tanks that are called mini bowls. They have a divider that comes with it, but you have to make sure that the picture shows the divider b/c they make them w/o the divider too. It comes with a filter and heater I believe, but I don't use them. If you get a 2.5G your supposed to do full water changes every month and a 50% water change every couple weeks. I buy water conditioner that helps keep the fish safe if you use your tap water. I buy long plastic plants and put them up against the divider so the males can't really see each other and they feel safe when they can hide in the plant. When you clean the tank, don't use soap, just regular water. I haven't added anything into my tanks b/c I personally think that a 2.5G tank that is divided is too small, but that's just my opinion. When I get a new tank I fill it, put the water conditioner in and put the fish in. A lot of people on here have filters and heaters so hopefully they'll see this and give you their input. I'm not an expert but I hope I've helped some!
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #3 
Jupiter

I'm not really knowledgable about fin rot and the like, but aquarium salt and clean water will be a huge help. You can also buy some Bettafix.

It's a good thing you're getting him a bigger tank, I bet he'll love it. ;)
As for tanks, this is what I'm planning to buy if I want another betta. Normally kits come with a lid with a light, a filter, water conditioner, food (which is normally tropical flakes) and sometimes a plant or two. Normally they don't include a heater, so if you don't live in an area where it's constantly 76-80 degrees you'll have to buy one.

I don't know anything about snails or ADFs, sorry. You certainly won't be able to fit another fish in. Maybe a ghost shrimp.

Cleaning isn't as hard as it looks. First you should wash the aquarium with warm water to get rid of any dust or residue. Later on when you add your fish and such, you should do a 20% water change each week if your tank is cycled. if it's not, you'll need to clean it much more regularly.
I don't know if they make gravel cleaners small enough for a 2.5 gallon tank, but you should look around and see if they do. While you're changing the water you should also clean the gravel to get rid of any fish waste or left over food that's fallen to the bottom. Oh! Forgot to mention that when you first get your gravel, you'll need to wash it well in warm water to get rid of any dust/residue.

As for plants, silk are far more easier to maintain, since they're not alive. :P
Real ones require light and fertilizer, but the pros are that it adds a nice natural look to your tank, helps prevent algae, and helps with the cycling of your tank.

Which brings us to your net question...
Cycling is a good idea because it stabilizes your tank, and you'll end up cleaning and changing the water less often. You'll need a filter (like I mentioned, usually comes in a kit). To start the cycle, normally you'll need to add the fish to introduce ammonia, unless you're doing a fishless cycle. that's adding amonia manually, but I don't know anything about that.

What happens is that your betta will start producing ammonia in the form of any left over food or waste. A lot of it will be deadly for your fish, so you'll need to do frequent small water changes at first. The ammonia will start to increase slowly, causing a 'spike'. The filter starts to then produce beneficial bacteria that convert ammonia to nitrite. Nitrite is also harmful to your fish. That'll eventually spike too, then other bacteria will form that convert nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate isn't very harmful to your fish unless it's in large amounts, which is why you do weekly water changes.
It's very helpful because you can leave your tank for a few days knowing ammonia levels won't rise and the like. Also much less cleaning for you.

Usually cycling takes about a month, I believe. You can speed up the process by buying live plants, or adding something from a cycled tank (filter media, water, gravel, etc) to help speed up the growth of bacteria.
I did both and now my tank is almost finished cycling in two weeks. :)

Anyway, it's not completely necessary to cycle your tank. You CAN treat the water and put your fish in. But again, in the end it's more cleaning for you.

Phew! That was a long post. Hope I didn't forget anything. :P
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 02:38 AM   #4 
Jynx

I have the 3 gallon Eclipse for my Lulu- it's the smallest Eclipse and usually runs about $50- if you have 2 betta you can go up a couple sizes and divide the tank if you want.

3 gallon Eclipse- live plants from betta bulbs (plants are bigger now)
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:39 AM   #5 
ElmoFish

I would just pick up a 10 gallon kit and divide it, that way you have the option to divide it again in the future, if you end up with more bettas. You can usually get 10 gallon kits at walmart for around 40 bucks, then all you would need is a heater and divider(s).. just a thought
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElmoFish View Post
I would just pick up a 10 gallon kit and divide it, that way you have the option to divide it again in the future, if you end up with more bettas. You can usually get 10 gallon kits at walmart for around 40 bucks, then all you would need is a heater and divider(s).. just a thought
I thought about that but I really like the fact that I have one in my bedroom and one in the living room... always a fish to look at.

Would it really be cheaper to buy a 10 gal tank bc the ones at petsmart don't come with ANYTHING.. that means I have to buy gravel, plants, decorations, in addition to the heater, thermometer etc.. most of the pre-made tanks usually at least come with the gravel...

I'd have to look at the cost of having 2 2.5gals vs 1 10 gal

Thanks for the suggestion. One question.. if I were to get the 10 gal.. How many times could I divide it safely? im thinking probably four (maybe five)?
Old 09-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #7 
Calmwaters

I bought a 5 gallon kit at Walmart today it had the hood, filter, tank, some water conditioner and food. I plan on switching the light bulb in the hood to a screw in floresent tomorrow they have one there for about $6.00. It was $30.00 and then I got 2 bags of gravel for about $3.45 a piece and tomorrow I will be getting the heater that I will need when winter comes. Right now it stays about 78 degrees in my office but in the winter it may get colder.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 05:18 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

that doesn't seem too bad.. i think i was actually looking at the same tank today :) they only had one and the box was open so it didn't look very good to me.

I think the 10 gallon may be the cheapest thing since if I get two tanks I have twice the stuff to get... a heater for each etc etc