Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2009, 02:10 PM   #11 
ChristinaRoss

since you didnt cycle this tank first, and immediately added about 13 females the same day/week...........id be VERY careful watching your ammonia levels now. they most certainly WILL spike. my suggestion..is to change half the water every 3-4 days until u keep the level safe and the tank actually cycles which can take up to 8 weeks or so. id also highly recommend adding AQUARIUM salt.

if not, then be on the lookout for very red gills, its almost ALWAYS a sign of ammonia poisoning. if u see that, immediately change 50% water today, and 50% again tomorrow. then in about 24-48 hours the red gills should be just about back to normal.

and also, in my opinion, i would definately not add anymore than the ones u have. you have provided lots of hiding spots and everything but they will gro to about 2-3 inches each. thats ALOT of fish bioload for only a 20 gallon tank. i would have suggested 8 - 10 maximum.

these are only MY opinions and please dont take offense. its not meant that way. ive just learned alotta things the hard way. so if this can help prevent some illnesses or deaths for you, then great!

good luck!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:52 PM   #12 
RoseyD

I'm not stressing over the chem levels of the new 20 - I put on 2 'cycled' filters - one was sitting as a 'doubled' filter on my 30 gallon for over a month - a tank with gouramis, boesimani, tetras, and a king betta. The second filter was remaining cycled - also acting as a double filter - on the 20 gallon high, that housed 4 sorority girls, 3 cories, and 7 neons.

The two filters - when I moved them over, I rinsed out their pre-sponge, but didn't rinse their matrix media.

On top of all that, the tank is planted with an organic soil substrate (plenty of bio-load in that) - as well as with a good portion of live plants.

If there was a mini-cycle - which is possible, in doing the switch over into the new tank environment - but, since both filters are very well seeded - I'm not expecting there was any cycling problems.

Currently, that tank has only 7 bettas in it - since I moved several out to put them into Camelot.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:37 PM   #13 
ChristinaRoss

oh im glad to hear that, i think the tank looks great by the way

i too have a castle, it came with one of my used tanks, but i never used it. i prefer my tanks look as natural as possible.

but its nice to see kinda how itd look if i decide to use it. :)

i think its whimsical u named it camelot. it kinda makes me wanna come up with a story for my sorority.
well they DO live with ME, so maybe "one flew over the cuckoos nest" lol just kidding
i gotta think of a great name like u did
Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #14 
RoseyD

I'm a big one with names.

The planted look ... How about the garden of Eden? ... Yes, minus any boys...

Or ... how about the story of the amazon women warriors? What men they had, they kept for breeding purposes only... the women lived together happily and raised their children...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #15 
ChristinaRoss

oh i do like the garden of eden, if you saw my tank i think youd agree :)

amazon warrior women? hysterical, great name, thatll be the next sorority lol
with lots of amazon swords and such