Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #1 
Tank Gurl

Baby Betta Clamping Fins

Noticed yesterday my baby betta Riley is clamping his/her fins.... He/she still eats and is active..

Does he/she not feel well? What can/should I do?
Tank Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 
Tank Gurl

I put a pinch of AQ salt in a separate cup, Im slowly adding it some every couple hours. Hope that helps her.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #3 
Myates

What temperature is the water? How often do you clean it? Those "baby bettas" are actually just the runts and weaklings of the spawn from the farm they get them from - they are stunted for the purpose to sell as "babies". A good number of them don't survive.. best bet in caring for it is to make sure the temp is 80-84F, fed 3x a day foods such as NLS Grow formula, and live foods and water changed a few times a week.

Outside of that, not much else you can do - salt is fine to use, would use no more than 1tsp per gallon.

Hope she gets better for you!

Last edited by Myates; 11-01-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #4 
Tank Gurl

Thank you for replying Myates.

She/he is very little and not growing much. Thats sad they are selling purposely stunted bettas as babies. Im trying to get the PetCo near me to stop carrying them.

The temp is 81, i was only feeding twice a day til someone told me to feed them 3 times. I do 50% water changes every day and 100% once a week.

Should i do more water changes?
How long should he/she stay in the salt water?