Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-05-2011, 02:25 AM   #1 
astoda

Splitting a 20 gal tank

I just got a 20 gal tank given to me. I want a 10 gal female sorority tank. Does anyone know if I can split the tank somehow? I think I've seen pictures of it done. I would like to put maybe a male in the other side or a female if I end up with one that doesn't get along with the others. Any ideas on how to do this safely and in a way that won't stress by bettas out? I really don't have a lot of experience so anything anyone has to say will be helpful.
astoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #2 
AliciaH

Yes, you should be able to divide your 20 gallon successfully. I don't know that I have heard of anyone making a sorority on one side per say... but people have kept a male on one side and female on the other just fine. To minimize stress in any divided tank, I would plant heavily along the divider to minimize their view of each other.

Maybe someone with more sorority experience will chime in here too.
AliciaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:50 AM   #3 
jeanclaudeasher

I have a 29 gallon tank split into 3 with a male in each section and it works well. I havent tried having females on one side and males on another yet. As AliciaH said, line the dividers with plants to help block their view of each other and make sure the water level is low enough that they cant jump over the divider.
jeanclaudeasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:27 PM   #4 
newbie32

They sell tank dividers or you can make one of your own. I think as a general rule, the more tank you have for a sorority, the better. Plenty of room and plenty of hiding places contribute to a more harmonious sorority. There is a stick about sororities on this forum. You may want to check out what that stick has to say about it. Good luck!
newbie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 
astoda

Thanks for the ideas! You all mentioned things I hadn't thought of. I really want this to work so any more tips or sage advice would be much appreciated.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 PM   #6 
MikiMaki

Well if you wanted you could divide it so that the guy had way less room then the females (like 5 gallons for him and 15 for them). I have mine divided for a male and a female with the male about 7 gallons and the female 3. They love each other and get sad when they are away from each other.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #7 
laughing

If you wanted to, go to a corner of the tank, silicone a divider to the side as a bottom, then silicone that to another divider that points up, and make like a "box" for him. Just be sure the bottom is mesh, and he is at the surface so he can breathe, and you are able to get him out. Make sure he has things lining the bottom/side of the tank though, because watching a sorority can stress males out. Java moss or something at the bottom would be very nice for him.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #8 
astoda

I found a divider at the Petco nearby, but it would make a big blue line in my tank and I thought that wouldn't look very good. How do I silicone a divider in place? Will that still allow water to flow between the two side or will I need 2 water filters and 2 heaters?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #9 
Shimizoki

A divider with small holes in it will let water go through but not fish. This will let you have 1 filter and heater.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:42 PM   #10 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by astoda View Post
I found a divider at the Petco nearby, but it would make a big blue line in my tank and I thought that wouldn't look very good. How do I silicone a divider in place? Will that still allow water to flow between the two side or will I need 2 water filters and 2 heaters?
You can use plastic canvas from a craft store, for needlepoint. I'll show you a picture of my divided 5gal which I made myself.

Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote