Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2013, 01:52 PM   #11 
RussellTheShihTzu

You're doing everything right.

Leave the light off for a while to give them a chance to adjust. When I introduce new fish, I put them in an unlit tank and leave the lights off for an hour or more. I don't attempt to feed until the next day.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #12 
DreamerHorse

That's good to know! Here I was having nightmares that they have Neon Tetra Disease. D:
DreamerHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #13 
Paolo Osorio

I have five neons in my betta sorority tank to fill it out a ill bit and to keep the aggression towards the smaller bettas down (the bigger ones will harass the neons also instead of just focusing on a poor little betta) and they seem to get the cue to eat from the female bettas who spend much more time near the top of the tank and are therefore able to see the food and start eating faster. As soon as they notice all the bettas crowding in the corner that I feed them at they come up. I feed mine freeze dried bloodworms and pellets, and for a snack live white worms which are easy to culture and they go crazy for.
Paolo Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:55 PM   #14 
DreamerHorse

I have freezedried bloodworms and some gel treats I got from walmart that are made of shrimp, and some treats that stick to the side of the tank. As they settle in, I'll try and find some other options for treats.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #15 
Paolo Osorio

Go for it
Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #16 
DreamerHorse

How many neons is fully stocked in a 10g tank with a betta? I might want to get a few more if these go well.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #17 
DreamerHorse

I'm also wondering how to transport them from quarantine to 10g when the time is right while creating the least stress as possible.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:34 PM   #18 
Paolo Osorio

I think you've hit your maximum number of fish for a ten gallon already. I would not introduce anymore, u could go with some small snails though. Most people suggest one gallon of water per one inch of fish, and that seems to be a decent rule of thumb but I actually prefers less than that. Then if it turns out that your betta is aggressive towards your neons you will appreciate that there are not as many and they have room to get away. Also, I would not worry about them being eaten unless you have an absolutely monstrous betta. In my experience very few male betta are fast enough to catch a neon anyway.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #19 
Paolo Osorio

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerHorse View Post
I'm also wondering how to transport them from quarantine to 10g when the time is right while creating the least stress as possible.
As a matter of fact, I would be more worried about the neons nipping the bettas fins. And as for the above, just empty most of the water into the sink until there is just enough covering the fish and then slowly empty water and fish into the ten gallon tank. OR you could use a brine shrimp net which is less damaging to the fish than a standard net. OR you could stick a small jar into the quarantine and grab em that way. If any of your fish end up dying just from moving them in any of the above ways, they probably would not have survived anyway.
Old 11-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #20 
Paolo Osorio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soph7244 View Post
What I do is I put the food through where the water comes out on the filter so they can see it. it works really well but i haven't figured out how to feed them the frozen brine shrimp..... any tips?
Lmao the fun bunch!!! I love that!!! I have five neons named the "proud fleet." I did it because I can't tell them apart.