Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #1 
IvoryCrayon

Water change ideas. Has anyone tried this?

I was thinking the other day of ways to make water changes run smoother for me and I was thinking of setting up a large bin of some sort and filling it with water, adding a filter to keep the water moving and a heater to have the perfect tempurature and conditioning it with water conditioner so when I preform the weekly 30% water changes on my two ten gallons I'll have water already the same tempurature as the tanks and already conditioned....

Is this a good idea?

As is stands now it takes me an hour to fiddle with the water tempurature and with luck get it the same as the tanks but the poor fishies are always left with a 3rd of their water missing for so long, I want to make it faster and safer for my little guys.

Let me know what you think, right now it's only an idea.
IvoryCrayon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:24 PM   #2 
Torbs

I think that's a great idea! If I had more than my garbage bin for a bucket in my dorm room I would be doing that for Galileo. One thing too that might be good about that is, I don't know what all the reasons we use water conditioner are, but if it's just to dechlorinate the water then if you do that you don't need to use water conditioner. I worked at a wildlife centre over the summer and the turtles are very sensitive to chemicals so we had to dechlorinate their water too and make sure it was the same temperature as the water they had before when we did water changes. All their water was room temp. so we would leave it out overnight. That raises the temperature AND over 24 hours the chlorine is actually released from the water naturally.
Torbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 PM   #3 
IvoryCrayon

Thanks ^.^
I knew keeping the water out over night was done for some reason but I couldn't for the life of me remember why haha.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:21 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

It also removes all the harmful metals in the water as well. The water conditioner is more of like a "remove all things harmful" all in one.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:28 PM   #5 
kelly528

Personally, I keep a 1 gallon milk jug full of water for my 5g. I fill it right after I change the water, leave it at room temp (heating a gallon is just a pain. 20% of room temp water only drops my tank by a degree anyways) until next Sunday. Before I vacuum the tank I mix all my additives in (fertilisers, water conditioner) and give it a good shake. Then I fill the tank with it after I have vacuumed a gallon out!

I do recommend water conditioner, because aging alone does not remove the heavy metals. Actually, there is probably little point in aging thanks to water conditioner but I do it anyways because I would otherwise forget to fill the jug so it would warm to room temp by sunday afternoon :)
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #6 
IvoryCrayon

I was going to condition it any way, it's mainly to heat the water so I KNOW its the right temp and it doesn't take me so long LoL. I'm glad my idea makes sense, it was hard to explain to my mom who doesn't know a thing about fish care. =]
Old 09-24-2009, 10:28 PM   #7 
giypsy

I had pretty much the same idea. I decided on a 2 liter bottle, upended and hung so gravity would refill, gently. And of course so I could achem, study. I condition my stored water right out of the tap. I just do not trust city water anymore.

Giypsy & FredFish
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #8 
Kim

It's a good idea. If I had the money for an extra heater I'd do it, but what I do now is this;

-Fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water, but the temp is the tricky part. If it's cold in my room I put extra warm water in so that it will be perfect when it's cooled for about an hour or two. If it's fairly warm then I just put in water that I can feel is about 80 F.
-Let it airate for at least an hour. I have to do this because my pH rises from 6.5 to 7.5 when left to sit, but airating speeds up the process. Yes, I have wierd water :P
-Fill the tanks back up after cleaning. I always check the temp first and if it's a little cold I have found that boiling water warms it up quickly. This is also why I put conditioner in right before adding to the tank..in case I need to add more hot water.

I wish I could use a python but I don't think it would work with my pH issues. Also I don't know how conditioning would work :/
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #9 

[quote=IvoryCrayon;248137]I was going to condition it any way, it's mainly to heat the water so I KNOW its the right temp and it doesn't take me so long LoL. I'm glad my idea makes sense, it was hard to explain to my mom who doesn't know a thing about fish care. =][/quot

Your idea of setting up a tub of water with heater is a very good one. many people do this when changing water with numerous, or large tanks. If you add aeration to the tub of water then filter isn't necessary but couldn't hurt either.
Is ALWAYS a good idea to use water conditioner for new water added to an aquarium. Many people',s tapwater contains chloramines. This is a combination of chlorine ,and ammonia. While leaving the water set out will ,with time,rid the water of chlorine,it does nothing to remove the ammonia from chloramines. Is also why everyone in my view should use water conditioner such as PRIME for the new water they add to their fishes tank. PRIME will detoxify chlorine,chloramines,and ammonia. Not all water conditioners detoxify the ammonia from chloramines, they only remove the chlorine and leave the ammonia ,for biological filter to consume. For tanks that are not cycled,or have no filter, the ammonia levels can and do become lethal. PRIME also removes heavy metals that may be inside the pipes that water comes from or metals that are in the water itself. Hope some of this helps.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:39 AM   #10 

In the interest of trying to relay accurate info. It appears that chloramines,like chlorine,will dissipate from water if left to set and aerated for at least a week. (this was news to me). I may have to get a testing device for chlorine-chloramines and double check.
In any event, It's much easier and quicker to use a dechlorinator such as PRIME or AMQUEL+ if one has neither the room or inclination ,to store their water between changes.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote