Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-19-2009, 02:18 PM   #1 
snowingwhite

Question HELP! somthings weird with the water

hi every one im new! i have had this female Betta fish for about a month now and she seems to be doing well however, i changed her food from flakes to "tropical granuals" (she didnt want to eat the flakes but thats what came with her tank so i thought id give hem a try) i currently feed her the granuals twice a day and ill admit have over pored them in the tank a couple times but she only seems to eat a few and let the rest fall to the bottem so im not worried; as well as freeze dryed blood worms 2-3 times a week. on the back of the jar of food it says it can cause clouding when used as directed but i have also noticed a sort of white film on the bottem of the tank almost half an inch thick now .. i changed her water 50% once a week and im going to up the amount of water changes to twice a week but im concerned about changing all of her water because i keep reading if its not done perfect it can harm her.. im wondering what this film as and if it can hurt her or if i need to do a 100% water change. thanks!
snowingwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:22 PM   #2 
Campbell

How big is your tank? I would do a 100? water change to get the film out. Only give her about 2 pellets twice a day and remove any uneaten food. Bloodworms should only be given a maximum of 2 times a week as well.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:39 PM   #3 
IonBaller07

Do you have any live plants in the tank, I noticed some of my dying plants left a white film on the bottom.
IonBaller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:51 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can change 100% of the water if its a small, uncycled tank.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #5 
snowingwhite

re

my tank is a 3 gallon just small but i decided to get a new one since my ten gal might hav had some kinda of infection in it.
my bottle of blood worms said i can feed it up to three times a week but ill bring it down to two, (what is the reason for that btw?) ill try a full water change and let every one know how shes doing in a couple days
snowingwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:01 PM   #6 
Campbell

Too many blood worms can cause bloating and constipation in bettas. Your bottle probably says that because it's a little different for every fish.
Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 05:39 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

What Campbell said.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #8 
giypsy

Exclamation

FredFish acclimated to the fish hotel very well the first day. The only prob was that he hit a half-shell and it settled, startling him a bit. It took several hours for him to want to go near them, n.b.d.

Later last night, I noticed he was nosing around the bottom alot. I did not think anything of it. He has a 7-day block & will approach it but not eat from it, still n.b.d. This morning the water was 15-20% cloudy. The scape is temporary; clean tumbled stones, two broken, filed half-shells for shelter, 1.5-2g betta-bowl.
I already see I will not be comfortable with just a bowl, will have to upgrade the environment; however a DW will take several weeks to cycle & condition.
My Question:
Do you think the 7-day feeding block caused the cloudy water that fast? FredFish was removed to plain, left-over, fresh water immediately this morning. He is not so interested in his spartan environment & seems bored. He swam around for a while & is now on the bottom, napping I hope. He will have to stay in the spartan enviro until I can condition and air another batch of water for the fish-hotel.

Giypsy & FredFish
P.S. The planned remedy is to boil the stones & shells, clean the bowl with tapwater, then reintroduce FredFish to the fish-hotel after 24hrs of enviro standing to see what the water looks like. NO 7-day Fish-block.

Last edited by giypsy; 09-24-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: update remedy plan
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:36 PM   #9 
ElmoFish

Giypsy, I assume you meant to post that in another thread..

Snowwhite, as for the white stuff in your bettas home, you should do a full water change, it could be food rotting at the bottom, as you mentioned you've accidentally overfed your girl a few times. Make sure when you complete the water change you use water that is the same temperature as the water you took out, and slowly acclimate the fish to the clean water.. best done by floating a cup with the betta and old water in it, for 20 minutes or so, and then adding a bit of tank water every ten minutes or so until the cup is near full, then adding the betta back to the tank.. Don't forget a dechlorinator too. As long as you follow those steps your betta will love you for the water change.
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #10 
AngelicScars

I would just clean the tank (no soap or chemicals!). It sounds like food that was left at the bottom started growing fungus. Never leave uneaten food in the bottom of the tank for that reason. You can use a turkey baster or a gravel vacuum to get the extra.
Also, a way to cut back on wasted food is to buy pellets. They aren't messy and definitely get eaten. I would suggest the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold brand. My pickiest Bettas will eat those.
Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote