Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #1 
Jupiter

Opinions for Felix?

Well, as you know, I recently got a new boy, but didn't have enough money to buy him a tank. I kept him in the breeding box in my 10 gal because I thought the coming week i would get money...

However, some things have popped up and I don't have the money, and probably won't be getting it...so no tank yet for Felix.

Today I was doing a water change (my tank tested for Nitrates! cycling is almost done ) and put Felix in the small bowl while i cleaned his breeding trap.

Well, he seems to be quite happy in there! There's a little more room than in his breeding box (it's about .5 gal). He's swimming a lot more actively and flaring at me and everything.

Only problem is...I kept him in the 10 gal because the water was heated/filtered. I don't have another heater for his bowl...and the house is 20 degrees (which is about 68 degrees in farenheit, I think). Nice for me but...I can't imagine he'd be happy.

So do you guys have any ideas on how to keep him warm? If not, I guess I'll have to sacrifice on space and put him back in the heated 10 gal again.

Oh btw, don't worry about Felix being stuck in there forever. Like I've already mentioned, come two weeks i'll be going home for Thanksgiving and taking my sister's 5 gal for Felix. I showed her a picture of him and she loves him too and was quite happy to give the tank to me.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:58 PM   #2 
misstephaniexxx

I would keep him in the heated tank, I'd rather keep him warm in a small area than make it easier for him to get sick in a bigger area. Especially if its just temporary
misstephaniexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #3 
giypsy

Do you think an unconventional heat source under the bowl, say a regular heating pad or even one of those mini-crock-pots, with the bowl propped up over by way of a coat-hanger tripod or some similar contraption, would heat his water to the min recommended? You would have to make sure the bowl was not touching the heat source, and it would be butt-ugly, aesthetically. Since it is only temporary, so what - ugly. Might be a good problem solving experiment.

Edit: Just realized, you do not have to go to all the fabrication trouble, if you don't want to; a wire baking rack would work. The only consideration is how high you would have to prop the rack over the heat source. An 8-10 hour test would give you a good reading on the empty bowl. Goodwill is my friend for cheap solutions!

Last edited by giypsy; 09-25-2009 at 01:32 PM.
giypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #4 
doggyhog

IMO, small and heated is better then big and not heated. Keep him in the breeder trap. He will be fine in it for a while longer. I'm sure he loves being next to the pretty girls too...
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Yeah, I already put him in since the water in the bowl was cooling rather quickly. At first he sulked a bit behind his decor but then he remembered he had his lady friends to keep him company and he perked up.

Aigis is sooo into him, lol. They always show off to each other, and if Felix goes on the other side of the box she becomes kinda agitated and struts around his box like "hey, don't forget about me! I'm cute too, right?!"
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #6 
doggyhog

LOL, yeah. Ivy and Pax are in LOVE! They just look at each other all day.... too funny.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #7 
Jupiter

Lol! She evens sleeps by him too. it's so cute. :D
Now I'm wondering what their fry would look like...not planning on breeding though.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I actually think that having Blue Bonnet next to Merlot helped him get over his swimbladder disorder! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote