Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #1 
alex5467

betta cup vs new uncycled tank

I just bought an amazing betta fish in a cup today and setup my tank today. My tank is 2 gallons with 2 fake plants, and gravel. I put water conditioning in my tank and i'm waiting for it to finish. Tommorow i want to transfer my betta into the tank, because i don't want it in the cup anylonger.
I'm worried that it'l die in my new unestablished tank what should i do?
alex5467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #2 
sainthogan

Wait until tomorrow and then acclimate him VERY slowly.
I didn't cycle my tanks before putting my fish in either. I kept up with my water changes, and my fish are fine.
A 2 gallon tank is extremely difficult to fully cycle anyway, and if you do manage to do it, it could take months. It took 4 months for my first 5 gallon tank to cycle with the fish in it and 6 months for the other one to cycle.
If you want to keep him in the cup longer, just to be safe, you're going to have to change his water 2 - 3 times a day vs. 2 -3 times a week in the tank.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #3 
Paolo Osorio

Provided that you don't have really funky water, it should be fine. Cycling can be important, but thousands of people keep bettas and goldfish in tiny bowls or vases with just regular tap water and they do just fine. Not recommended btw, thats cruel. Don't use spring of filtered tap water though, it's lost it's minerals! Once your betta has been in the tank for a while he'll start a little ecosystem and everything should be fine. Make sure water has set for at least 48 hours if its chlorinated though. Oh wait, you said you set up tank today...wait till monday before putting it in, or you very well could kill it. Good luck. P.S. unless plants r silk they could damage your bettas delicate fins. If u can, replace them with live plants.
Paolo Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #4 
Paolo Osorio

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Wait until tomorrow and then acclimate him VERY slowly.
I didn't cycle my tanks before putting my fish in either. I kept up with my water changes, and my fish are fine.
A 2 gallon tank is extremely difficult to fully cycle anyway, and if you do manage to do it, it could take months. It took 4 months for my first 5 gallon tank to cycle with the fish in it and 6 months for the other one to cycle.
If you want to keep him in the cup longer, just to be safe, you're going to have to change his water 2 - 3 times a day vs. 2 -3 times a week in the tank.
Or listen to this guy!
Paolo Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote