Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 
gizmo4

Betta allergic to live plants

I've only been a Betta fish owner for 4 months. The first month Ms. Blue was alive with activity and then someone told me I needed to change the plastic plant for a live fern. That is when became sick. She would have spots and over the last 2 weeks I had new fern and all she would do was lay in her hammock and blow bubbles or lay in the bottom of the tank. She was not eating. Last night I removed the live plant and this morning she skin is clearing up and she is so active and hungry. Has any one else had trouble with live plants making their Betta sick. The store associate told me she was blowing bubbles because she was in heat and was ready to mate. Is this possible.
Thanks to the posts I'm finding answers to help Ms. Blue.
Gizmo

PS. I wanted to add the pic but I need to find them in my computer.
gizmo4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

Was the plant a true aquatic plant?

And, welcome to the Forum!
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

I doubt very much a betta could be allergic to live plants. However, it is possible for plants to introduce parasites into a tank if infected fish were housed with the plants in the sale tank.

What appearance did the spots have? Did they look like grains of salt or were they simply areas of discolouration?

Also bettas don't go into heat. When a betta is ready to spawn, the female becomes gravid with eggs. While it is not unknown for females to blow bubblenests, are you 100% certain your fish is not a male?

Even if the plant was not truly aquatic, I would think the only thing it would have an impact on would be the water quality and this is if it started breaking down.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 
RussellTheShihTzu

If it were a terrestrial plant bought from a nursery that was potted or one with toxic sap it can cause problems. Sorry I wasn't clear.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 
gizmo4

Thank you

Wow! Great help. I'm sure I have a female. The plants were ferns from the Pet store. Since putting the plastic plant, Ms. Blue has been active. There are rings on her. At first I thought they were bubbles. Her small fins clear in color and seemed to have something white on them.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #6 
gizmo4

Sorry about the size. This pic thing is all new to me.