Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-25-2009, 04:29 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

supplies to build new aquarium

Hey all.. Im getting a 10 gallon aquarium for my two boys that will be divided.

What is the basic hardware I need? Im not talking gravel, decorations, etc. but filters, heater etc.

Im looking at something kind of like this.. but the one I saw comes with a 5 watt heater (is that a good heater?)

http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetr...=1276&cid=3117

Can I buy a divider and put it in a tank like this or do I have to find one that comes with a divider? Petsmart doesn't seem to have dividers.

If I just get a 10 gallon with lighted hood thats not a kit what else do I need? Filter (what kind) heater (what kind)? Water conditioner or any other solutions?

Also Im going to do a fishless cycle.. has anyone had good experiences with the solutions that are supposed to speed it up or should I just stick to ammonia?
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2 
Rohland

Hi welcome.
First, lets just say the cheapest box sets are found at walmart. They include everything you need except the heater for $35.

You would need to buy a heater. But that wouldn't be too big of a problem. Also to answer your question, bettas need to be kept at temeratures around 80 degrees. So for a 10 gal aquarium you will need atleast a 50 watt heater.

Dividers can run about $20 from the petstore, however I will find you an old postfor you, where you can make them for really cheap.

Also it will be faster just to do a fish cycle with two betta fish. Than waiting for a fishless cycle. You can also use seachem stability which add the bacteria needed to start the cycle in an aquarium.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 07:42 PM   #3 
Jupiter

5 watt heater? I've never heard of that...but for a 10 gal you'd need a 50 watt heater, and don't forget a thermometer to make sure you've got the tempurature right. :)

As for filters, only thing I can say is don't use an Elite Hush...the current is far too strong. Personally I'm trying to buy an Aqua Clear, they have one that you can use in tanks from 5-20 gallons.

You can get water conditioner, or you can let your water sit out for 24 hours before adding fish to let the chlorine dissolve. I personally use water conditioner because I'm impatient. :P
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:14 PM   #4 
ElmoFish

Jupiter, I have an Aqua Clear 5-20 that came with my 15 gallon when I got it, and I find the current quite strong on that filter as well, you'll probably still need to make a baffle for it of some sort..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Oh really? That's good to know. Though for some reason my filter seems to have been more tame the past few days.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:22 PM   #6 
ElmoFish

Is the media in it getting old? Sometimes they slow down as they get clogged.. which really means it's time to change the media or clean it, even tho it makes life much easier on the fish..
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 08:44 PM   #7 
1fish2fish

It may have been 50 watts.. something with a five. I looked at it in petsmart today but had my dog with me so i didnt get a chance to read the box carefully.

I read about doing a cycle with the fish but it said it can be harmful for the fish. I have no problem waiting for a cycle without fish because my fish have been doing fine in their 1 gallon bowls but I've learned that they will have a better life in a bigger, heated tank.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #8 
tdedolph

I have an AquaClear 5-20 in my divided 10g and it works for my guys. I personally like it, and I think my fish do too XD.

Here's what I've got for my tank:
-Betta Safe water conditioner
-Water testing kit
-Correct PH (7.0)
-Ammonia Clear
-Heater (I bought a cheap one, but spring for a good one. With a temperature setting and not just a knob. Spending the extra money is totally worth it.)
-Aquarium Salt
-Betta pellets (no flakes!), along with bloodworms and brine shrimp, they love love love them!
-Gravel vacuum

Buy a testing kit first so you know exactly what chemicals you need to buy. I didn't and I spent soooo much time going to the store when I was trying to set up my tank.

The PH down didn't work for me at all, but the Jungle Correct PH tabs did. Just in case you have this problem too :]

Anyway, I hope this helped and good luck setting up your tank!
tdedolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 PM   #9 
andakin

i have that exact tetra tank! i paid $50 for it (probably overpaid). i threw away the filter cuz it was useless to me. you can buy a similar kit from walmart for $40 but made by aqueon.
andakin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:46 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

thanks for all the replies. I'll keep all this in mind. Im really hoping that the aquarium store I found is very knowledgeable and can help me get everything I need. I know the people at petsmart aren't going to know anything..
I will make sure to get a good heater and all the test kits.
I already have the betta pellets, blood worms, and shrimp LOL