Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #11 
AlexXx

Ya i have the same one too! payed 50 :( then saw it a week later at walmart for 35! DOH .
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:01 PM   #12 
1fish2fish

They didn't have that kit at walmart. I'm going to go to the aquarium store first to see what they have and what their prices are then if they don't have what I want I will probably get the one from walmart.. if they get more in.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:22 AM   #13 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
They didn't have that kit at walmart. I'm going to go to the aquarium store first to see what they have and what their prices are then if they don't have what I want I will probably get the one from walmart.. if they get more in.
Walmart sometimes orders stuff for you. Or can check local stores to see if they have any in stock. It is way cheaper than your local fish store. Or maybe you can get a price match.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 05:35 PM   #14 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohland View Post
Walmart sometimes orders stuff for you. Or can check local stores to see if they have any in stock. It is way cheaper than your local fish store. Or maybe you can get a price match.

Well.. I was bad. I got so antsy that I just bought one from the aquarium store... $65!!! AND I still had to buy the heater and filter :(.. I know its bad but theres nothing I can do about it now so Im not gonna dwell on it.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:34 PM   #15 
gus6464

The new Aquaclear filters have adjustable flow so if you find the current too strong at full blast you can tone it down.
gus6464 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #16 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus6464 View Post
The new Aquaclear filters have adjustable flow so if you find the current too strong at full blast you can tone it down.

well thats not gonna help me now.. i probably couldn't have afforded it anyway. Now Im looking for a way to rig it cheaply to buffer it a little. He doesn't mind it too much but I wan't him to be comfortable.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:00 PM   #17 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdedolph View Post
I have an AquaClear 5-20 in my divided 10g and it works for my guys. I personally like it, and I think my fish do too XD.

Here's what I've got for my tank:
-Betta Safe water conditioner
-Water testing kit
-Correct PH (7.0)
-Ammonia Clear
-Heater (I bought a cheap one, but spring for a good one. With a temperature setting and not just a knob. Spending the extra money is totally worth it.)
-Aquarium Salt
-Betta pellets (no flakes!), along with bloodworms and brine shrimp, they love love love them!
-Gravel vacuum

Buy a testing kit first so you know exactly what chemicals you need to buy. I didn't and I spent soooo much time going to the store when I was trying to set up my tank.

The PH down didn't work for me at all, but the Jungle Correct PH tabs did. Just in case you have this problem too :]

Anyway, I hope this helped and good luck setting up your tank!
I suggest you don't use chemicals to lower your ph. Its very hard to keep your ph stable, especially after a water change ect. And its not healthy for the fish. Also ammonia clear is a quick fix incase of an ammonia strike, however once again it doesnt solve the problem. Also bettas dont produce a lot of waste, so a water change when you see a rise in the ammonia should do the trick.

Last edited by Rohland; 09-30-2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typo
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 PM   #18 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohland View Post
I suggest you don't use chemicals to lower your ph. Its very hard to keep your ph stable, especially after a water change ect. And its not healthy for the fish. Also ammonia clear is a quick fix incase of an ammonia strike, however once again it doesnt solve the problem. Also bettas dont produce a lot of waste, so a water change when you see a rise in the ammonia should do the trick.
So is it not necessary to test for pH? I got a liquid dropper test kit today and it came with ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and High pH tests.

I did them all today since I'm starting my cycling. Is pH not important for bettas?
Old 10-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #19 
ChristinaRoss

are you going to cycle this with fish? or without?

cycling with fish can lead to stress, ammonia burns and not to mention nitrite or nitrate poisoning.

i think you should read up on cycling aquariums before you decide to cycle with him in it.

good luck
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 09:50 AM   #20 
1fish2fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaRoss View Post
are you going to cycle this with fish? or without?

cycling with fish can lead to stress, ammonia burns and not to mention nitrite or nitrate poisoning.

i think you should read up on cycling aquariums before you decide to cycle with him in it.

good luck
I am cycling with the fish. I read a lot about it and consulted with other people on the various betta forums on how they cycle and how it has affected their fish.

I test the water daily and if I get any readings I make a 25-50% water change. My fish are used to massive water changes so it won't stress them.