Betta Fish Forum banner

Ollie has bad fin damage, what's the diff...

958 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Hankbetta 
#1 ·
Difference between bacterial and fungal fin rot? And I've been adding salt to his water and tried treating with bettafix but a day after I was done treating him, his tail fin would tear again. But now his tail fin is all shredded.
I switched him over to his hospital tank because I hadn't done a 100% clean of the tank since he had plants that were unsuccessful. He seems to be doing fine in his hospital tank, I just have him in there with aquarium salt and of course the water is treated. All I have left for meds is PIMAFIX, says it treats any kind of fungus, but I just started him on it today.
Should I go get something stronger? I also tried Jungle Fungus Clear, with no avail.

#4 ·
Aww.. poor little guy, he looks like my Grover when he started biting his tail, but he's a silly masochistic fish.. have you tried giving him salt baths? They really help promote regrowth.. Fungal fin rot only occurs if the area was already damaged (nipped, or torn, etc.) while bacterial fin rot eats away at the fins.. I believe bacterial fin rot tends to occur more uniformed, while fungal tends to be in patches.. but someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a while since I've done any research on the subject since my only betta with fin issues causes them himself..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.