Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #1 
CrazyDiamond

Need An Algae Eating Critter!

I am in school right now and up to my neck in school work, I can't deal with this algae bloom right now and it's driving me nuts! I clean what I can every Friday but it's just getting worse and looks unsightly. It's the bright green algae and I have been told it is not "bad" but I don't like it. I have a 10 gallon NPT, temp is at a consistent 80 degrees. If I had time to clean the tank every 2-3 days I could knock out this algae problem but I just don't and I do not want to pour chemicals into my water that may harm my betta. I have the one betta at the moment and don't really want to add anymore fish, I think most algae eating fish prefer to live in schools and get too big for a 10 gallon anyways. I am in a dorm and they don't allow snails but I have never had someone come in and meticulously inspect my tank but just to be safe I would like a snail that is fairly discreet and inconspicuous. Also what else do they eat? A friend of mine had a snail and it died, I really don't want to kill my snail lol
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:56 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Shrimp

R
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #3 
CrazyDiamond

I've heard they jump out, I'd like to steer away from them and my betta might attack them xD he's a plakat.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #4 
twolovers101

I've never had a shrimp jump o.o you have a hood right?

You might try ghost shrimps, I have a pk and ghosties worked fine with him for a while, they're harder to see. Just be careful with how you add them in (take your betta out of the tank for a while while you do it) and it should be okay if they have enough places to hide otherwise your options are really limited with your dorm not allowing snails... snails aren't really all that stealthy...
twolovers101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:16 PM   #5 
CrazyDiamond

Hmm, I will consider it but yeah my friend had shrimp and they all jumped out of her tank xD pretty sure she had a hood too, I also have a hood so I will keep them in mind ;)
Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #6 
rickey
Banned

If they are jumping there is a water quality issue, that why shrimp commit suicide

R
Old 11-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #7 
PetMania

Shrimp are an option, but bettas are known to kill them as prey. You can get 3 catfish. Pigmy and panda corys don't get that big.
PetMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:08 PM   #8 
rickey
Banned

Pigmy and panda corys aren't algae eater they are bottom feeders, and you will need numbers, they are shoaling fish, so you need 6 or 8.

R
Old 11-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #9 
rmarkham

I've had success with nerite snails. They don't get as big as mystery snails and only breed in brackish water.

However they are escape artists so you would need to have a good cover with ALL holes covered. I've had mine get out while I was away for a long weekend... I came home to him on my bureau almost dead!

You also will need to supplement with some fresh veggies because algae alone won't be enough. You could try algae wafers but your betta might decide to eat those and eat far too much. My boyfriend made that mistake when I left him with the fish for a week..
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #10 
CrazyDiamond

As much as I love cories, they are so cute! I am aware they need numbers to be happy and my tank is only 10 gallons and the bottom is covered in rocks and plants and wood and more rocks lol I don't think they would be very happy in this tank. And they don't eat algae lol
The nerite snail sounds like a better option I think, I don't want anything that will breed in the tank like shrimp. My betta is pretty aggressive, I think he would just kill and/or eat any shrimp I put in the tank. I'll cover any openings in the hood with saran wrap I reckon. How often should I put veggies into the tank? My friend whose snail died had a hard time feeding hers because the veggies floated xD