Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 AM   #11 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i keep my nerites in open top tanks.i just make sure to do rollcall everyday to make sure they are in the tank and not stuck on their backs.nerites have a hard time turning themselves over and can die if they get stuck like that. unless there is a water issue they stay in the tank.they can close their shells pretty tightly and stay alive out of the water for 3 or 4 days.they make veggie clips with suction cups on them for feeding aquatic animals.mine cost under 2 bucks.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:12 AM   #12 
CrazyDiamond

Awesome! Thanks, I have actually wanted a snail or two for a while now, I will start with just the one for now, see if I can keep it alive for my self-set goal of 6 months lol. I waited 6 months between my first and second betta, my betta is almost a year old :D I feel so accomplished.
CrazyDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #13 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDiamond View Post
As much as I love cories, they are so cute! I am aware they need numbers to be happy and my tank is only 10 gallons and the bottom is covered in rocks and plants and wood and more rocks lol I don't think they would be very happy in this tank. And they don't eat algae lol
The nerite snail sounds like a better option I think, I don't want anything that will breed in the tank like shrimp. My betta is pretty aggressive, I think he would just kill and/or eat any shrimp I put in the tank. I'll cover any openings in the hood with saran wrap I reckon. How often should I put veggies into the tank? My friend whose snail died had a hard time feeding hers because the veggies floated xD

I got some suction cup clips to hold veggies in place, I feed zucchini, summer squash, and spinach a few times a week. I take it out after a day so it doesn't rot. I'd poke some teeny holes in the syran wrap so help get some air in there/prevent mold. I have one nerite who's almost 2 years old!
I have 5 gallon mini bow tanks and I taped some plastic bits with holes in them in the openings. (I had them left over from hamster toys).

To give a visual, the plastic I taped to the holes in my tanks are from this
http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Puzz...ter+playground

And for clips to keep the veggies in place I use something like this
http://www.amazon.com/Omega-One-Supe...=seaweed+clips

Last edited by rmarkham; 11-03-2013 at 12:15 AM.
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #14 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandybottom View Post
i keep my nerites in open top tanks.i just make sure to do rollcall everyday to make sure they are in the tank and not stuck on their backs.nerites have a hard time turning themselves over and can die if they get stuck like that. unless there is a water issue they stay in the tank.they can close their shells pretty tightly and stay alive out of the water for 3 or 4 days.they make veggie clips with suction cups on them for feeding aquatic animals.mine cost under 2 bucks.

It's not always water issues... mine like to venture into the filter to munch on alage and have found their way out and fallen. I don't think it's worth the risk/stress on the snail to have them able to get out so easily..
Old 11-03-2013, 12:23 AM   #15 
CrazyDiamond

Those look really helpful, thanks guys! Pretty set on a nerite snail now lol just gotta be sure the RAs don't see him. They give a warning before they do room checks so I could always remove it temporarily and hide it. We are more than half way through the semester and they haven't done a single check this year. So I am getting bold now xD
Old 11-03-2013, 12:26 AM   #16 
rmarkham

Quote:
Those look really helpful, thanks guys! Pretty set on a nerite snail now lol just gotta be sure the RAs don't see him. They give a warning before they do room checks so I could always remove it temporarily and hide it. We are more than half way through the semester and they haven't done a single check this year. So I am getting bold now xD

Are you not allowed to have pets at all? Or is it just a one pet deal?
When I was in school we always got a note on our door letting us know when the next room inspection was. Granted, I graduated in 2010 and every university is different.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #17 
CrazyDiamond

We can have tanks no larger than 10 gallons with small fish, no shrimp, no snails, no frogs, no nothing other than the small fish. But I wouldn't have the fish if we weren't allowed pets at all xD a ten gallon tank isn't exactly inconspicuous lol I graduate in May so just a little longer and I can have whatever I want in my tank!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #18 
rmarkham

Quote:
We can have tanks no larger than 10 gallons with small fish, no shrimp, no snails, no frogs, no nothing other than the small fish. But I wouldn't have the fish if we weren't allowed pets at all xD a ten gallon tank isn't exactly inconspicuous lol I graduate in May so just a little longer and I can have whatever I want in my tank!

Well, if you have enough plants you should be fine.. but I'm a worrier.. for now you could use an algae sponge/brush thing a few times a week.

What if you had lots of live plants and some pest snails? It's odd that they care about snails.. I mean, how would they even notice?
Old 11-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #19 
CrazyDiamond

I have three wisteria plants, a java fern that has two "babies" taking root in the tank now, a moss ball, an Amazon sword and an anubias so I have lots of plants and was told this would help with the algae but it hasn't and I think the algae is beginning to take a toll on the plants, when I scrape it off the leaves they appear to be dying. And I have no idea why they wouldn't allow snails, what are they gonna do pee on the rug? xD If they find him I will take him home and leave him with my brother in a big cookie jar I have where I keep my marimos.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #20 
hollyk

Ah, dorm life. lol I tried that once; didn't particularly care for it! I lived in a single room for a few years. At first I bought a 5 gallon fish tank with a single fish- allowed. After about a year with no inspections or anyone entering my room, I added a divided tank with bettas- more than one tank, not allowed. Another 6 months went by, no inspections. Got a lizard that lived under the bed when I wasn't in the room- definitely not allowed. Few more months. Guinea pig- so totally ridiculously not allowed. Lived with all of them for the remainder of my time at that school- never had an inspection, and I had a furry friend! (as well as a few scaly ones!)

Moral of the story- a snail should be fine.
hollyk is offline   Reply With Quote