Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

They'll grow ok in gravel, then? How deep does it need to be?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:22 PM   #22 
Jynx

I've got about an inch and a half of gravel in mine- I know the roots are pretty strong from when I transferred Lulu from the 1 gallon to the three gallon- and from when I had to pull one up to investigate some possible fungus. I thought the plant might shock from being pulled up but it was fine. I originally grew the left side plant in the little critter keeper I had Lulu in when I got her- and it sprouted within 2 days and had leaves after about 9. They've gotten thicker but haven't taken over the tank. Lulu really likes swimming through the leaves and stalks.
The third bulb in the package I bought didn't sprout at all. It was a dud.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:33 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

Are your tanks cycled? If I got any bulbs, the plants would have to come out while I clean the tank and gravel.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:45 PM   #24 
Jynx

nope everything stays put in my tank. I change about a third of the water every two weeks and try to keep my kid from knocking the thing over.
to tell the truth I just got these bulbs out of curiosity about what would sprout and I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd had bettas and small tanks and large tanks with my turtles and cichlids but I had never had live plants except as food for the turtles- those guys were like weedwackers.
But now I have a pair of very nice little plants and they look awesome- and I wonder if I should do something more for them but they really seem to be flourishing fine without a lot of interference from me. Sometimes Lulu chews on the leaves and they get torn but they heal up. Like I said sometimes I have to trim the wilted spots like you do on a houseplant. And the water is cleaner and smells better than any other aquarium I've had.
I suppose you could try growing them in cups if you want to take them out easily- the roots go down and the two times I had to pull them up there was tearing and I was afraid I'd hurt them but they were okay.

Last edited by Jynx; 09-28-2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

I may try some but if they get all yucky then I'm throwing them out. lol I'll have to take them out when cleaning the tank, though. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:53 PM   #26 
Jynx

ah- and now that I look closely- the bulbs HAVE gotten smaller- so they've been nourishing the plants. I'll have to get some kind of plant food for them sometime soon.
Old 09-29-2009, 12:01 AM   #27 
AlexXx

Hmm, im going to get some 2marrow and throw them in my tank, hope they work! they looks fantastic.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:10 AM   #28 
Jynx

I do like the look of the live plants- and Lulu really likes playing in them- and it adds another level of interest since the plants grow and change and need to be looked after. I'm glad I got the betta bulbs. But the one bulb was a dud so be aware of that- the package said they'd replace duds but you have to mail them in.
Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 AM   #29 
AlexXx

Should i just toss them in? Or should i grow them in a cup on the window sill first. My 10 gal is on a table right at my window, so it will get plenty of light. But should i sprout them first? or toss them in... will the fugus, if it does become fungal, spread to my fish?
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #30 
TigerLily

I've got mine in cups using water from my tank, that way if they do go gross the fungus won't be in my tank. Once they get going I'll probably move them over.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote