Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #1 
Koda

Raised white patch of scales

I included pics below, but I noticed the white patch a while ago. I didn't think it was anything to worry over at first because he has changed color on me once before and has a habit of tearing up his fins (that I can't seem to do anything about other than just keep his water clean) so I thought it was related to one or the other. However, it doesn't seem to be going away and I hadn't noticed that it was raised until recently.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? yes (whisper in-tank)
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none....unless you count a marimo ;)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Top Fin Color enhancing betta bits
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets once a day for 6 days a week

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? once a week (today being the last time it was changed)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? dechlorinator (NovAqua Plus...I know Prime is better, and I have a bottle of it, but I just want to use up the rest of the NavAqua first) Not long ago, I put in a IAL (this is a while after I first noticed the white scales).

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes, I did a while after today's water change.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
pH:6.6 now but I suspect that's the IAL's work, otherwise it has consistently been around 6.8
Hardness: ?
Alkalinity: ?

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? He has a raised white patch of scales on his back near the base of his dorsal fin. It's mostly on his left side, but carries on a little on the right. At first I didn't think it was anything, when I first brought him home, he changed color within a couple of weeks from a steel blue-gray/white to red fins with a bit of iridescence and a pale colored body so I thought maybe he was just doing another change. The white patch has stayed as a patch and I think it has gotten bigger since the day I first noticed it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? His behavior hasn't changed at all.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? I can't remember when exactly I first noticed a patch of white but it has been at least a couple of months.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have done a salt treatment not long ago for his fins which seem to be a lost cause, but this is after the white patch appeared. And now he has the IAL.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him from Petsmart/co the end of July 2012.
Attached Images

Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #2 
Koda

Any ideas? I tried looking around online, is it maybe a fungal infection? It kind of looks like it, but I don't know how he could have gotten it because I clean his tank pretty regularly.
I've been struggling with a lot of algea in his tank, is it possible that could be causing the lump?
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #3 
HeroicPoison

very good macro shots!
it does appear to be an infection that is under the "skin"
im not too sure if it is fungal or bacterial tho...
infections can spread quickly so i would send a PM to Sakura8
HeroicPoison is offline   Reply With Quote