Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 AM   #21 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
are you sure it's such a good idea to DTxDT? although you'll get 100% DT offspring, im concerned for the spinal problems and other associated deformities. nonetheless, good luck rasising this batch.
Ya as long as I don't inbreed this line. This is a one time thing. I'm gonna order a few fish that are ST to try and create aline if they look good enough.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #22 
andakin

correct me if im wrong. im fairly certain that the damage is done in the first generation.
andakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:13 PM   #23 
MrVampire181

Did mention they spawned without a nest :) He just balled them up in a corner of the cup and built a nest later.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:16 PM   #24 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by andakin View Post
correct me if im wrong. im fairly certain that the damage is done in the first generation.
Hmm maybe maybe not, here's the page I used and it came from a very trusted website: http://bettatalk.com/answer24.htm

I'm gonna spawn the same the same pair in about 3 weeks just so I can get more fry :)

Last edited by MrVampire181; 09-27-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #25 
andakin

from the link you posted, i got the impression its only okay to DTxDT out of desperation if the two bettas are super rare. it is better to breed a ST carrying the DT gene for better finnage. anyways, here are the only two points faith has mentioned about DTxDT:

Quote:
Breeding two DTs together will cause the bodies to get even shorter. Each time you breed two DTs you shorter the bodies farther more. Results? Short stubby bodies, thick, and a lot more chances of deformities (crooked spines, etc). That is why a smart breeder will avoid this combo at all cost.

However, what if you are in a situation where all you have are two DT bettas? For example, you get a spawn of blue bettas and in there are only two purple with green fins bettas (doesn't exist, I am just trying to make a point here). These two SUPER RARE bettas should be bred together to increase the chances of getting more like them and so to not forever lose this chance of having a new color created. You will breed the two DTs together, and you will be OK, for the most part most of the fry in the first generation will be OK. But this is only OK, as a one time deal and in desperation LOL. Then you would have to cross back to ST blue siblings (hopefully carrying the same genes that caused the purple/green mutation).
Old 09-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #26 
Vikki81207

Ehh I think it's alright. I think Mr. V knows what he's doing. And if something bad happens, then he knows what not to do. It how you learn, trial and error.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM   #27 
andakin

im not trying to rag on you for doing a double dt. i still wish you the best of luck. it may be a waste of effort to fix the deformities in future generations. you were probably better off introducing a single tail in the first spawn.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:42 PM   #28 
MrVampire181

No I see where you are coming from, but what I took is that as long as the two DTs aren't related it's ok to breed them.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:08 PM   #29 
andakin

im here to discuss the genetics, not to bash.

i believe every successive DTxDT (whether related or not) will further damage the line. a first generation DTxDT is equivalent to a third generaion of STxDT. im probably wrong but i will try my best to explain my reasoning for thinking this way.

case 1: DTxDT (both male and female have dt/dt alles from their parents)
F1 will have dt/dt alles.

case 2: DTxST
F1 will have dt/st alles but will have no DT
F2 will produce 25% DT. of that 25%, they will have dt/dt alles.
F3 all of the offspring have dt/dt alles from both parents

my conclusion: F1 DTxDT = F3 DTxST.

of course the genetics is far more complex than what i have shown. i just used some logic and reasoning to plea my case.

Last edited by andakin; 09-27-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:12 PM   #30 
MrVampire181

He ate them. Yop he went and ate them. Dang it!! Should I just give up right now?