Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2009, 01:03 PM   #1 
1fish2fish

fishy smell???

I started doing a 25% water change daily with 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt added everyday to the bowl. But I went home last weekend and left the fish when I got back yesterday the bowl that I've been adding the salt to had gotten very hazy with long (excuse the vulgarity) snot-like strands of stuff in it. It also has a very unpleasant smell thats kind of fishy.

My other tank that I haven't added the salt to is clear.. although it does need to be cleaned from left over food on the bottom. It also doesn't have a smell.

Is this smell a by product of the salt? Could more bacteria etc be growing now that I keep my lamp over it to heat it up?

Im doing 50% changes now until I can get the new 10 gal set up.... Looking to buy one off craigslist then adding new filter, heater, divider etc. Very excited
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:49 PM   #2 
kelly528

I honestly don't know what that would be... probably due to the 'dirtiness' of betta bowls, or maybe the salt is crystallizing in the stagnant water. Maybe both. Refrain from aquarium salt until you move your betta into the 10g. IMO you only need it for medical purposes.
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:04 PM   #3 
Elena

How big is this bowl? Generally you would want to add 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water if using salt as a preventative. That means if the bowl is 1 gal and you are changing 25% (or 0.25 gals) you should only add one quarter of the quantity of salt you would use for 1 gal, or 1/8 teaspoons of salt. If you added 1/2 teaspoons each time you did a 25% change you probably have a large quantity of salt in there and you should do a 100% change right away. Bowls should benefit from complete water changes anyway since filtration is normally not present. A 1 gal bowl should be changed completely every 2-3 days IMO. Make sure you slowly acclimate your fish to the water with lower salinity. Good luck!
Elena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:15 PM   #4 
CodeRed

It sounds like something my Ace had just a couple of days ago. He got very lethargic and wouldn't eat when it was there. However, a 100% water change, with great care took in eliminating every bit of that stuff, has left him in tip, top shape. I'd say do a 100% change, and see if that helps any.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I'll do 100% change tomorrow.. i didn't have time today. My fish has been losing his tail (i have other posts about this) and everyone said use aquarium salt. My understanding was to use 1/2tsp per gallon doing 25-50% changes daily. I've only done it twice really.. once wed, then thurs, then I was gone the whole weekend and when I got back it was fishy and murky.. sort of. My fish seemed fine not lethargic or anything. I will cut down the salt to 1/8 of a tsp per day.

Hopefully I can get them into a bigger tank soon.. but i have to cycle it and everything so it's gonna be awhile.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote