Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #1 
Tappity

Does my Betta need a larger heater?

Hi all,
I'm new here and am hoping to gain some wisdom for taking care of my Betta 'Oliver'.
Oliver lives in a 3.5 gal tank by himself currently. His tank is fitted with a Marina brand Grreat Choice® Aquarium Mini Heater (7.5 Watt) that does not have heat adjustments:
http://goo.gl/SrzFeq

I have read that the optimal temperature for a Beta is High 70's to low 80's (78-82?). If this is inaccurate please correct me.

Oliver's tank is not in direct sunlight, so I do not believe he gets the dramatic changes in temperature caused by that. We live in Utah, and it is getting really cold, which is causing our home to be very cold respectively. I checked the thermometer for the tank and it's down around 75 today. Oliver has been staying near the bottom of the tank which I read can be because the water is too cold :(

The heater in his tank right now is fixed as mentioned so to my understanding it basically just adds a certain amount of heat and doesn't fluctuate.
I believe I have seen higher end heaters that are more powerful, and include a built in digital thermometer too and will self adjust to keep a consistent temp.

My Question:
Would Oliver benefit from such a heater?

Our home is only going to get colder as the Months progress, and I want him to be comfy and healthy. If a larger heater/different heater is appropriate I would love some recommendations.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Tappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #2 
Illhearted
Banned

For a tank that size and adjustable, 25-watt heater would heat the water better and more accurately.
Illhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #3 
jaysee
Reference Team

How powerful a heater you need is a function of the volume of water and the temperature difference between the ambient air temp and the desired water temp. If your house is going to be cold this winter, then you will probably benefit from a more powerful heater.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #4 
Tappity

Thanks for the quick replies guys. The concensus seems to be that he'd benefit from a larger heater (because yes, our home will be getting colder). I'm looking at some 25 watt heaters and they seem to be recommended for 7 gal to 10 gal tanks. I would be concerned it would over heat the tank in a 3.5 (might actually be 2.5 gal) tank. Is a 25 watt heater the recommended type in this situation still?
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #5 
Stone

a 25 watt that is adjustable is going to be the smallest most reliable heater you will be able to get,it will just heat the water faster than a smaller heater.
Stone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #6 
Tappity

I will look for an adjustable 25 watt heater then. Thanks for your guys recommendations.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #7 
sunshineandrainbows

I've used the Marina mini-heaters for years with success (they are preset to 78, and all five of the ones I have used have never given me any issues and keeping it that temperature), but I agree that an adjustable is better. Those particular heaters (the Great Choice ones) are not great at all. They are very inconsistent with the water temperature, and there is no control over the temperature at all.
sunshineandrainbows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold, heater, temperature