Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #1 
BettaBoy51

Betta breeding help

Just a question im going to try to breed my bettas and i dont really know how t condition them i bought live brine shrimp and frozen bloodworm and im going to get live bloodworms on Thursday is that good along with there normal food and how much to i feed them i gave them each 1 brine shrimp (which i saw them eat cool xD)and a piece of bloodworms along with 5 betta pellets is that good and what about the live bloodworms

Thanks for all your help!!

EDIT; can't bettas get swim bladder from to much brine shrimp

Last edited by BettaBoy51; 12-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.
BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Frozen brine shrimp, bloodworms and good quality pellets ought to be good enough.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
tropicalkass

Too much will cause them to bloat, and they could die. If you feed them brine shrimp dont feed them their normal food the same time. U can give brine shrimp every other day and normal good the days you don't give brine shrimp. Conditioning is fairly easy. You can take a funnel or take a plastic bottle and cut the top part of the bottom. You can stick the female in it in the males tank for a day. Observe how they act with each other. Does he flare? Does she? If so they could spawn. But you need to do this whey day for about 15 mins a day. He can see her buy can't touch her and will help them get ready for spawning. Eventually you can out her in there longer and he should build a bubble nest. If so check to see if the female is round with eggs and has a white egg spot. Also she should have vertical lines. If so release her into the tank but watch to make sure she doesn't get seriously injured. They may chase each other around and nip.
Posted via Mobile Device
tropicalkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #4 
BettaBoy51

so basically i should stick to pellets and frozen and live bloodworms and forget brine shrimp altogether and how much do i feed them and when and how many times a day and can i feed the babys micro worms or are those bad to?
Old 12-10-2013, 12:03 AM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Shrimp like foods are harder to digest compared to worm like foods. Just remember to feed according to what they have digested. Let them bloat a bit - natural as their bellies fill up. But too much may cause health issues in the long run . . . . months of continuous bloating from food (like they swallowed a marble).

I don't really limit my feeding. My bettas (solitaries) stop eating before "too much". But I do limit feeding the sororities as they will eat till they literally drop/sink.

I'm not suggesting you do what I do - I live in the tropics where it's always warm or where their metabolism should be higher compared to 4 season areas. Anyway this is what I feed 2-3 times daily:
regular 3-4cm adult - 10-20 frozen blood worms
Giant 5-7cm - 20 - 40 frozen blood worms.
I have never counted other types of food. Specially live - I always over feed live food since it will remain alive for later.

*** Remember; stop feeding if they bloat too much. Some bloat faster than others.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #6 
tropicalkass

You can do the brine shrimp. I use all omega one brand food. I use the dried brine shrimp. There pretty big so I just put a pinch as big as there pellet food it's ok if it's a little more. I feed mine once a day if I feed brine shrimp and twice a day if I do pellets. I prefer night feeding for brine shrimp and morning and night for pellets. But it's all up to you. Mine know when it's feeding time. I'm not exactly sure what to feed the babies. Infusoria is a good food for baby betta fry, also boiled egg yolk
tropicalkass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:37 AM   #7 
BettaBoy51

ok so im gonna feed them 4-5 pellets and live blood worms and frozen blood worms and maybe 1 shrimp every few days is that good and im gonna feed that 3 times a day is there any thing else they can have to help or is that good and are micro worms bad what else can i feed the babys?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:21 AM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Vinegar eels, micro worms and baby brine shrimp are good to feed fry.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote