Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #21 
Paolo Osorio

Except me, I don't wanna help. Jk! Btw it's advisable to invest in good breeding stock in the first place, just so it's easier to find homes for all the fry. Not many people want a homely fish. (though sometimes I think everyone feels so bad for those guys at the pet store that they buy them)
Paolo Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 PM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yeah, ask as many questions as you can think of, but try to make them specific to make it easier for us to answer.

For newbies, I'd suggest that you watch as many videos on betta fighting and betta breeding. . . . Just the flaring part. Compare how they flare in the two modes. When fighting, they will flare and hold their position. They might flare/swim left-right, trying to break through. But in breeding mode they will literally swim all over the tank in an "S" style then return to flare again. Understanding their body language is important in betta breeding because males may kill females if either one isn't in breeding mode.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #23 
Ilikebutterflies

Welcome! First of all you will have no problem giving away juvenile fish to the kids at school-middle school is absolutely perfect. That's where 99% of my culls go. I have two older kids in school and rarely have any culls left over.

First of all know that crowntails (CT)are difficult to raise if you have hard water. The water will often make their spiky fins curl. The only way out of this is to use RO water of 1/2 distilled 1/2 tap water. Both could be costly. If you have hard water you may wish to keep the CT as pets and get a set of HM, HMPK, PK or VT. I know you know what tail types these are because you have done your homework. If you wish to proceed with CT I would like to know what colors they are.

Colors are very important because there is a very specific way to make bettas in colors that will be easy to work with AND rehome. I'm sure you have seen all the Wal-Mart fish. They are usually either red and blue or blue and red.

I LOVE the suggestion of watching the you tube videos on breeding! Do that for sure.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #24 
BettaBoy51

Be careful not to over feed them bbs because they can develop swim bladder disorder I feed mine micro worms and crushed eggs I got my micro worms from eBay for 3 dollars

For growing micro worms get a container and use a push pin and poke some holes in the top and then put about half and inch to 1 inch of oatmeal add water so it's moist but not to watery then add the worms you bought then sprinkle some yeast over the top of the worms or crumble up some bread and put it over top and then you're done then you should see some worms crawling up the side of the container then drag yore finger or a tooth pick on the side then dip it in the tank and your done!

Hope that helped let me know how it turns out I'm going to breed some more bettas soon hope it works out good

-BettaBoy51
BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:31 PM   #25 
LoveMyGod2001

One of my crown tails are dark blue but when the sun is shining,not directly of corse, he has a silver look on the bottom of his fins.. And my female CT is dark blue as well but when the sun is shining she has a violet color all over her fins... So I am assuming I am going to get dark blue fish right? When I got my betta fish from the store I was sizing them so I do not get a huge male and a tiny female or visa-versa. And it just so happened that they were both dark colored.

Thank you so much for your help!
LoveMyGod2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:22 AM   #26 
Ilikebutterflies

Yes. You will get blue fish with red in their fins. As far as dark blue...maybe and maybe not. The blue color is in the top color layer of the fish. There are a few different kinds of blue as well as a greenish blue in that layer. You could get any of those shades of blue. Now, the red in the fins is considered undesirable.

If you are allowed on Facebook you are welcome to check out these photos to get an idea of just how many different colors a betta fish can come in. Maybe they will inspire you! Go to the photo album named "betta fish". There you will find many many many excellent pictures of bettas.

https://www.facebook.com/CentralFlor...0324668&type=3
Old 11-15-2013, 12:07 PM   #27 
LoveMyGod2001

Thank you! I have another question... I got a dark green plastic container. And I cleaned it and then filled it with the fish water only up to about 2 inches and put Saran Wrap over the top and let it sit at the place I want to breed my fish and this morning I checked the temp. and it read 73.6 F. I have read things online and noticed that many people have said that you should have your water temp. at 80-82 F. Is the temp. That I have in the morning okay or do I need to get a heater and set it for 80-82 F??? FYI... I have not done anything else with my fish after I saw that the temp.
Old 11-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

You want to be careful with the micro worms because overfeeding them can cause missing ventrals. I hope a breeder will jump in to give more info on this.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #29 
Ilikebutterflies

More and more evidence is pointing towards the missing ventrals being more of a lack or proper proteins issue. Worms are only going to have the nutrition that they are gut loaded with meaning they are going to be low in protein if they are fed a high sugar/carb diet as most microworm cultures are. I personally add protein powder to my worm cultures-I think I remember reading the worms don't feed on the culture media that they feed off of the bacteria and yeast growing in the media but I feel like those organisms are probably taking in the protein from the powder. All my fish have their vents and they were fed walter worms for the first two weeks. At week three I add BBS a few days a week and fry powder once in a while. What's nice about worms(micro/walter/banana) is that you can't actually overfeed them. Whatever doesn't get eaten sinks to the bottom and dies after 12hours(micro) and 24hours(banana/walter). Of course then that fouls the water so it is best to do small feeedings. I think the problem lies with feeding ONLY the worms. The fry really need other foods in their diet to grow and develop properly.

73 is far too cold for breeding-I doubt the fish would move much at all much less breed. It's going to need to be around 80.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 11-15-2013 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #30 
LoveMyGod2001

Okay that is what I thought... About the food I have BBS, pellets, flacks and first bites. Are those good? BTW... The only reason why I go the first bites is b/c it says that it is slowly sinking granule an that it promotes rapid froth and it is a superior nutritional balance. But thank you for all of your help! ( my mom likes the way you teach.)